For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
enniiidddd's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 11:00 AM

Joining my friends family plan (currently don't have a US number)

Hi, I'm going to study in the US and plan to join my friends family plan as soon as I arrive. Right now I don't have a US number and would like to keep using my current device rather than buy a new one. So some of my questions are:

(1) Since I will arrive in NY and my friend is in GA, is it ok to add a new line to my friends account even though we're in different states?

(2) Is the presence of the account holder required?
(2) Is it ok to keep using my current device?

(3) What kind of information about the account holder would I need to provide to the staff (so that I could ask my friends in advance)?

If anyone are familiar with the process or are able to answer these questions that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

It would probably be easier if he just goes to the store, adds a line, and mails you the SIM card. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

1.  Your friend will have to add a line for you.  Accounts are secured and only the account owner can add or remove lines.  

2.  Not necessarily, but the line and issue of a SIM card  just be done by account owner, which may be difficult long distance.

3.  You can probably use your phone.  It would help to know what phone it is.

4.   The account owner would have to provide account credentials and passcode and identification.  Which is very difficult long distance.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for your reply! 

My friend, who is also the account owner, said that he has successfully helped another friend join the family plan long distance. He told me that he will contact at&t customer server in advance and authorize me to add a line to his account, and he will also provide me with his account information. And I am wondering if this could work out?

Regarding my current phone, I'm using an iPhone 6s.

Thanks again! 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for your reply! 

My friend, who is also the account owner, said that he has successfully helped another friend join the family plan long distance. He told me that he will contact at&t customer server in advance and authorize me to add a line to his account, and he will also provide me with his account information. And I am wondering if this could work out?

Regarding my current phone, I'm using an iPhone 6s.

Thanks again! 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

It’s in his hands.  If it worked before, I’ll take his word. 

Your phone should work fine.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 @MicCheck

Thanks for the suggestions! 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

How did you solve your problem?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.