For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Iandaboss's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, February 27th, 2016 5:40 PM

Is it possible to sell a phone and then report it lost/stolen and then receive a replacement?

Hello! I have been selling phones recently, but I started noticing people saying that their phones had been blacklisted (reported stolen/missing) AFTER they had bought it.

Does this mean that you could sell a phone to someone and then report it as stolen and then receive a replacement? Wouldn't the buyer be screwed in this case, because they would have a newly blacklisted phone which wasn't blacklisted when they made the transaction? 

And if the situation I mentioned is possible, is there any way to combat that from happening?

Best Regards,

Ian

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

No you cannot stop this from happening because the original owner has all the power. There is no transfer of ownership officially. The IMEI will always be identified with the original account it was purchased on. Someone can very well make an insurance claim but they have to do so within 30 days of the "incident"

Blacklist is a different story. Months and months down the road someone can report it lost/stolen and it gets blacklisted.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

This is a huge problem that keeps happening more and more everyday bc att is a horrible service provider.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Radicaljack wrote:

This is a huge problem that keeps happening more and more everyday bc att is a horrible service provider.  

I'm not sure what you think AT&T should be doing in this situation. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

Legitimate sites like Swappa, eBay and pay pal allow a buyer to submit a dispute in the case of fraud sales.  They will not only refund for fraud sales, but a seller who did so would be blocked from further use.  

I reported a buyer for not completing a sale (refuse to pay). He had bought several items and did not pay.  Because of that he got banned from eBay and I got a refund of listing fees.   eBay can shortbor long term ban.    Swappa also kicked out a buyer who excepted my item, then disputed via credit card to get funds back through pay pal.  Swappa kicks you out for good if you scam someone. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Radicaljack wrote:

I'm not sure how people selling phones and then reporting them stolen (FRAUD) or people stealing phones and selling them has ANYTHING to do with AT&T and their service provided...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.