Internet sharing?

Highlighted

Internet sharing?

I've got a new Samsung Focus S (4G) with data plan.  In the settings menu there's an option for Internet Sharing.  When i turn it on i get the following message:  "Connection not shared. To enable tethering on this device go to..."  ..and then it gives me a web address to go to, or dial 611.

 

Is tethering an additional cost?  I get the phone and service through my company and i was told i had an unlimited (however "unlimited" is being defined these days) data plan.  Is it something i just need to activate?  Obviously i don't want to incur any additional charges, but it would be nice to have tethering enabled if it's already included.

 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 17 (11,450 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author exchangeguy
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Internet sharing?

Tethering is an additional cost, and it's not available to users with unlimited data plans. The smartphone + tethering plan is $50 for 5GB of data. Sorry, but there is no way to add tethering onto an unlimited data plan.

Message 2 of 17 (11,446 Views)

Re: Internet sharing?

Okee doke. Thanks for the info.

Message 3 of 17 (11,443 Views)
Contributor

Re: Internet sharing?

I see that your compititors offer hot spot sharing on thier phones included in thier unlimitad plans. Is ATT ever going to compete with those plans?

Message 4 of 17 (9,912 Views)
Professor

Re: Internet sharing?

What competitor is that? It isn't Verizon Wireless or T-Mobile.
Message 5 of 17 (9,899 Views)
Expert

Re: Internet sharing?


petef3 wrote:

I see that your compititors offer hot spot sharing on thier phones included in thier unlimitad plans. Is ATT ever going to compete with those plans?


verizon does not offer unlimited so they are not the one

sprint's unlimited plan requires a rider to be able to do sharing and hotspot, it is an additional charge and has a 5GB limit

 

t-mobile has two plans that include hotspot capabilities, but for 20.00 a month additional you can add the capability to any dataplan

 

what carriers are you speaking of with unlimited data and hotpsot available for no additional charges?

Message 6 of 17 (9,882 Views)
Professor

Re: Internet sharing?


wingrider01 wrote:

petef3 wrote:

I see that your compititors offer hot spot sharing on thier phones included in thier unlimitad plans. Is ATT ever going to compete with those plans?


verizon does not offer unlimited so they are not the one

sprint's unlimited plan requires a rider to be able to do sharing and hotspot, it is an additional charge and has a 5GB limit

 

t-mobile has two plans that include hotspot capabilities, but for 20.00 a month additional you can add the capability to any dataplan

 

what carriers are you speaking of with unlimited data and hotpsot available for no additional charges?


For T-Mobile the charge is $15 for mobile hotspot, and you can't add it to the Truly Unlimited data plan.  I'm still wondering which competitors petef3 is referring to.

 

Message 7 of 17 (9,875 Views)

Re: Internet sharing?

ting doesn't charge extra for tethering.
However they aren't exactly a competitor of ATT, they are an entirely different sort of business.
Message 8 of 17 (9,858 Views)
Professor

Re: Internet sharing?


harryspar wrote:
ting doesn't charge extra for tethering.
However they aren't exactly a competitor of ATT, they are an entirely different sort of business.

That still wouldn't help petef3's point, as he says that competitors are offering tethering at no additional charge on unlimited data plans.  I don't see any unlimited data plans from Ting.

 

Message 9 of 17 (9,853 Views)
Expert

Re: Internet sharing?


harryspar wrote:
ting doesn't charge extra for tethering.
However they aren't exactly a competitor of ATT, they are an entirely different sort of business.


add to the simple fact to do tethering you need Data access capabilities - which seem to be lacking on their coverage map

http://ting.com/coverage

 

see zero coverage for data anyplace on it

Message 10 of 17 (9,842 Views)

Re: Internet sharing?

@wingrider I think you're doing something wrong there.
Ting has Sprint's data network coverage.
If you really see zero data coverage then there might be something down with the website or your browser.
Try ticking the "data" box on top AND zooming in on a city. You should see the data coverage.
Outside of cities you probably won't see much coverage because.... well, because it's Sprint.
Message 11 of 17 (9,836 Views)
Expert

Re: Internet sharing?

[ Edited ]

harryspar wrote:
@wingrider I think you're doing something wrong there.
Ting has Sprint's data network coverage.
If you really see zero data coverage then there might be something down with the website or your browser.
Try ticking the "data" box on top AND zooming in on a city. You should see the data coverage.
Outside of cities you probably won't see much coverage because.... well, because it's Sprint.

doubt it - tried my machine and my collegues machines same exact thing - firefox, chrome, ie9, in airport waiting for international flight to london to board will try again at my hotel in London tonight.  /rofl ting is the old tucows software company.

 

Message 12 of 17 (9,828 Views)

Re: Internet sharing?

I see plenty of coverage on ting.com right now.
Message 13 of 17 (9,817 Views)
Contributor

Re: Internet sharing?

Am using a HTC X8 device and it's carrier is AT&T. My problem is I can't download stuffs from the Microsoft store that's because I can't sign in although I have I an account
Message 14 of 17 (455 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Internet sharing?

@quekuenla

 

Why are you posting on a 4 year old, unrelated thread?

ask your own question, try title, " can't access Microsoft store"

 

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 17 (453 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.