Need help understanding your bill?
gparker03's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 24th, 2018 2:17 AM

International Plan Scam

I called ATT previously prior to a trip outside the country and was informed they would put a plan on my account that if I used services for each 24 hour period I would be charged maximum $10. I got a notice on my trip of overage charges and when I called I spoke with someone that said that plan was not usable with my account (after the fact). They said they would put a plan on that was $60 for the period. VERY disappointed I'm being charged an extra $40 (I used service for two days).

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Stevebye wrote:
I doubt AT&T is paying Dutch VodaFone more per GB than I’m paying them for my prepaid SIM plan. In which case AT&T is reaping the most benefit from this scam. And unless there’s a good explanation for it I think “scam” is an appropriate characterization.

If you roam, with any other countries service, you incur higher charges for using ‘off network’.  It’s not like ATT invented roaming and roaming charges.  

Heck, I remember early cell phone days where you got charged extra for roaming outside your regional coverage area, within the USA.

FYI local sim isn’t always cheaper.  St. kitts, where we own a condo, has very expensive service.  It was cheaper to pay per use text and use the code WiFi than buy local service.  Cost me a mere $26 and $23 in pay per use charges each time

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I did reset the data stats. But the data is piling up more than 1000% faster on my phone using the AT&T international plan than on the phone using a Dutch Vodafone SIM. That’s the problem. Same carrier (Vodafone) but outrageous alleged data usage stats through AT&T. And it’s been that way in every country I’ve been to the past three years with seven different international carriers.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I think that because AT&T buys data from other telecom companies in bulk. Astronomically huger amounts of data than an individual buying data on a prepaid SIM. Are you suggesting AT&T pays international carriers a LOT more for each GB of data than an individual person pays for a SIM card? Why would you assume that?

Even if AT&T paid the same as any of us do individually then their cost markup is measured in hundreds of percentage points. I paid 20 Euros for 3 GB (6 GB due to 100% bonus temporary promotion). Without the 100% bonus that’s less than $10/GB. AT&T is charging $50/GB. More than a 500% markup relative to what any random shmuck pays going directly through Vodafone. And that’s 500% assuming AT&T pays Vodafone the same per GB as I do. I suspect they pay much less. I’ve no idea why you seem to be suggesting AT&T pays Vodafone more than I or any individual customer does.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Stevebye wrote:
I think that because AT&T buys data from other telecom companies in bulk. Astronomically huger amounts of data than an individual buying data on a prepaid SIM. Are you suggesting AT&T pays international carriers a LOT more for each GB of data than an individual person pays for a SIM card? Why would you assume that?

I think  AT&T pays what the other provider bills for your roaming. AT&T isn't purchasing data. 

Even if AT&T paid the same as any of us do individually then their cost markup is measured in hundreds of percentage points. I paid 20 Euros for 3 GB (6 GB due to 100% bonus temporary promotion). Without the 100% bonus that’s less than $10/GB. AT&T is charging $50/GB. More than a 500% markup relative to what any random shmuck pays going directly through Vodafone. And that’s 500% assuming AT&T pays Vodafone the same per GB as I do. I suspect they pay much less. I’ve no idea why you seem to be suggesting AT&T pays Vodafone more than I or any individual customer does.

You seem to think AT&T has some sort of agreement with Vodafone allow AT&T customers to use data in the Netherlands. That's not how it works. Your phone connects to Vodafone (or some other Dutch provider) and that provider recognizes your information as being international usage through AT&T. Vodafone calculates how much data you're using on its network and passes along those charges to AT&T so they can be put on your bill. 

International roaming is expensive. Whether it should be or not is irrelevant. Using a U.S. cell phone overseas costs a lot. You've discovered that for some people, depending on usage, it's better to purchase local service while traveling. Other find that they don't need cell service enough to make that worthwhile. Neither is right or wrong, it just varies depending on the customer and their needs. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I don’t think that’s how it works at all. You’re describing data roaming with no international plan. I paid for the AT&T international plan. $60 for 30 days which includes 1 GB of data and then $50 for each additional GB. So I’m purchasing my data from AT&T, not from Vodafone, and AT&T is paying Vodafone whatever amount the two companies have agreed to for the data. So I’m 100% positive AT&T is paying Vodafone less than $50/GB because AT&T isn’t selling it to me at a loss. I’ll lay 10:1 odds betting that AT&T pays Vodafone less than $10/GB because I pay Vodafone less than that for a SIM card plan.

But the huge price markup isn’t my major gripe. My problem is that the data usage through the AT&T international plans is grossly inflated. Like 10 times or more. So in effect it’s a 5000%+ markup because you actually get 1/10th (or less) of the data you’re paying AT&T (not Vodafone) for.

Why do you keep stretching for ways to defend this price gouging practice by AT&T and other US carriers? T-Mobile being the notable exception which is why I’ll be switching to them despite their inferior domestic coverage. Maybe now you’ll suggest I opt for the AT&T passport plan so I “only” pay $10/day and only on days when I use data. That’s the plan AT&T tries to steer everyone to and you seem to be a company rep despite the claim that you’re not. No thanks. I’m not paying $300/month for the 2 to 3 GB I actually use in small increments every day.

You can keep defending the company but like most frequent travelers I’ll be using prepaid SIM plans until I dump AT&T as my domestic carrier next month.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

You ACE sages keep missing the point. I am NOT paying Vodaphone or any other foreign carrier for international roaming. I am paying AT&T a set amount per GB.  $60 for the first GB and $50 per GB (or fraction of a GB) after that.  So it doesn’t matter if vodafone is charging ATT $1 or $1million per GB, I pay ATT $50/GB.  So I’m sure ATT is paying Vodafone much less than $50/GB.  Probably much less than $10 but I don’t know that.  

And while I think $50/GB is exorbitant I could live with it just for convenience of being able to use my primary phone overseas IF I actually got 1 GB of data for each $50.  But I don’t get what I’m paying for.  I now know for a fact  what I’ve suspected got several years:  that the data usage is grossly inflated when using the ATT international plans.  I doubt I’m using even 100 MB for each alleged GB.

I’m using two phones this trip.  One with a vodaphone SIM and one on the ATT international data plan.  While I was in Amsterdam four days last week I used the SIM phone almost all the time.  I conservatively estimate I used the SIM phone for at least 80% of my cellular data consumption.  Yet after those four days the data usage on the ATT phone was more than double that on the SIM phone.    You do the math.  I come up with a data inflation multiplier of at least 10 (or 1000%).  Same carrier but data piled up 10x (or more) than actual usage on the ATT plan phone.  And both phones are iPhones originally purchased through ATT and now unlocked so it’s not some random hardware issue. 

Maybe there’s a valid explanation for this other than what amounts to fraud, but so far no one on this thread has proposed an equally compelling theory.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Stevebye wrote:

Maybe there’s a valid explanation for this other than what amounts to fraud, but so far no one on this thread has proposed an equally compelling theory.  

It has been proposed: Reset the data meter on the phone using AT&T at the beginning of the cycle and then compare that to what AT&T says you used (per the bill) at the end of the cycle. 

If you do that, and still find AT&T is recording a material amount more in data usage, then I will agree that something on AT&T's end is wonky...to say the least. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Ok, maybe this is my fault.  Or at least I think I’ve figured out the problem and it could be user error.  I just realized 1.3 GB of the 1.4 GB of data usage has been for the Photos App.  What do you all think?  Has my phone been uploading my photo stream to iCloud every time I turn on cellular data?  If so, it shouldn’t be doing that, should it?  Photo stream should only upload and share to my other devices when on Wi-Fi.  And Wi-Fi usage shouldn’t be included in cellular data usage. 

Is is there another explanation for Photos using more than 90% of my cellular data?  An explanation other than automatic uploads of my photo stream  to iCloud when the phone isn’t connected to Wi-Fi?    By comparison, my next biggest cellular data drains have been a mere 23 MB on Facebook and a scant 15 MB between all map apps combined (Google maps, Apple maps , Waze).  So my estimate of being charged more than 10 times my actual usage was correct ... except I had no clue Photos was using cellular data.  

Regardless, I apologize for suggesting that some among you appeared to be AT&T apologists or discussion board corporate moles.  🤭  You were just trying to help.  Mea culpa, much embarrassment being experienced here. 

I have now turned off Photos in the Cellular Data settings so hopefully problem solved and I won’t feel compelled to change my carrier. Overall I’m satisfied with AT&T’s service though I do wish they’d introduce more reasonably priced international plans.  If T-Mobile can offer international data at ZERO additional cost as long as you use more data in the US than you use abroad every three months, and given that international prepaid SIMs commonly charge less than $10/GB, surely AT&T can offer it at much less than $50/GB and still turn a healthy profit.  But I guess that won’t happen until more of us opt to use prepaid SIMs and AT&T is compelled to adapt to a more competitive market for international travelers.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Contacted AT&T for an international plan to Israel and Jordan.  Didn't know what countries are covered under which plan.  I was advised to get the Passport plan, which I did.  Then I was charged for the passport plan AND a daily fee.  Apparently I was already enrolled in some sort of daily pass thing and didn't know it.  There were no warnings of any kind from AT&T that I was already enrolled in a plan and that I would be billed for both, even though I only needed one.  They will not remove the double charges.  I know international calling  is expensive, and I'm willing to pay for the passport (the more expensive of the two options) but I don't  think it is fair they are telling  customers to buy an additional international plan when the customer  already has one and doesn't know it.  Seems like a scam to me -- especially when I contacted AT&T to get the extra charges removed and they wouldn't do it.  Any tricks or tips to get them to fix this?  Or are they just taking advantage of the consumer  who only occasionally travels? They are getting free money on this one.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Gretchenhe,  sorry but I have no advice other than trying again to get AT&T to remove or refund the $10/day daypass charges for all days you were enrolled in the passport plan.  I agree that it’s not reasonable  for them to charge you for two redundant plans at the same time.  The only legit explanation that occurs to me is that maybe the passport plan wasn’t in effect at the beginning or end of your trip in which case you should only be billed $10/day for any days the passport plan wasn’t active.  But if you can rule out that scenario then I don’t see how AT&T can justify the double billing. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.