For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
gparker03's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 24th, 2018 2:17 AM

International Plan Scam

I called ATT previously prior to a trip outside the country and was informed they would put a plan on my account that if I used services for each 24 hour period I would be charged maximum $10. I got a notice on my trip of overage charges and when I called I spoke with someone that said that plan was not usable with my account (after the fact). They said they would put a plan on that was $60 for the period. VERY disappointed I'm being charged an extra $40 (I used service for two days).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

There is no scam. The $10 daily plan does not work in all countries. Unfortunately, some phone reps may not know that. Next time rather than calling, add the appropriate plan yourself through the MyATT app. All the info on the plans and what countries they support is available online. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I disagree!!!! In Canada on roam for like 2 hrs. Only used my gps. Called AT&T and asked about plan. Only in Canada for 1 night. After I declined to pay $60 or more I started to receive texts saying I owed them $500 in data charges. They shut my phone down. I called. Lady said I only owed $17. She kept saying she was taking the international block off but wasn't. Then she said I indeed owed $500 and could, in her words "cover it up" I needed to pay $60. I will be taking this up with AT&T when I return to the US. Then I'm switching carriers!!! I been a customer of AT&T for about 20 yrs!!! This is how I'm treated? I believe it was a total scam!!! They shut my phone down completely and would not turn in on till I paid $60. SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Steviecop

she didnt cover up...she offered to back date a passport plan to reduce the $500 bill.

read here:   Learn stuff.  https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans.html

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@gparker03

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans.html

Check your country to try to see if it was on the list.  I’m not aware any plan other than prepaid is excluded, what is excluded is about 1/2 of the countries ATT has a roaming agreement with.  

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Every AT&T international data plan is a scam.  I haven’t tried the $10/day pass, but even if works as advertised it’s a ripoff at $300/month which is 5 to 10 times the cost of an international SIM card with as much prepaid data as most of us will use in a month.  

I have bought the 1 GB and 3 GB plans for $60 and $120 per month respectively.  And these are OUTRAGEOUS RIPOFFS because you get maybe 10% of the data you pay for.   I suspected AT&T was inflating the cellular data usage and this week I’ve confirmed it.  

I got the 1 GB plan on my AT&T phone for my ongoing European trip.  And I got a Vodafone SIM card for an old phone.  I’ve been using the Vodafone SIM almost exclusively for a week.  Literally at least 90% of the time.  Now nine days into my trip AT&T has logged 1.4 GB of cellular data and the phone with the VodaFone SIM is at 780 MB (or about 0.8 GB).    I don’t know how AT&T gets away with this but it’s a total f’ing scam.  I’ve been an AT&T customer for 10 years, but I’m going to be traveling a lot now so I’m changing carriers. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

And don’t tell me about settings for push notifications or anything else.  That has nothing to do with it.  I had no Wi-Fi my last week in the US.  I was using 100% cellular data that week on my AT&T account phone.  I used it several hours a day for surfing, all email, and used GPS navigation every day.  My data usage was under 2 GB that week.  

On the same phone one week later in Europe AT&T tells me I used 1 GB in less than two hours with maybe 10 minutes of navigation involved.  There is no viable explanation for this being anything other than fraud.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Stevebye I don’t think you understand the word scam. International plans are expensive for sure and may not be a good deal, but not a scam. Even if you believe the plans are a ripoff, ripoff is not the same as scam. As for your international usage, the usage is reported to ATT by the foreign carrier. If it is not accurate, blame the foreign carrier, not ATT. 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Maybe you’re right, but without further explanation I still suspect AT&T is at least complicit in overstating international cellular data usage. In the past few years I’ve experienced the same thing in the UK, Israel, Australia and four European countries. The data usage has consistently been at least 10 times what I thought it should be. Now for the first time I have an actual comparison of data usage as reported by AT&T to data usage reported by the same carrier not going through AT&T. Am I to believe that all of these carriers from at least seven different nations are inflating data usage they report to AT&T?

I doubt AT&T is paying Dutch VodaFone more per GB than I’m paying them for my prepaid SIM plan. In which case AT&T is reaping the most benefit from this scam. And unless there’s a good explanation for it I think “scam” is an appropriate characterization.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Stevebye Your phone tracks all data usage. Next time you travel, reset your data stats, you will then be able to tell if your phone matches what is being reported. You will even be able to tell what apps use the data.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Stevebye 
I doubt AT&T is paying Dutch VodaFone more per GB than I’m paying them for my prepaid SIM plan. 

Why do you think that? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.