Need help understanding your bill?
huahero's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 5:36 PM

How to quit a current family plan?

Hello,

I'm now in a 5-person family plan. I'm not the owner of the plan. My 2-year contract starts from Jul-2012.

Now I want to quit the current family plan for some personal reasons and build a new family plan (being the owner of the new plan).

I'm wondering if that is possible?

If possible, what should I do? Do I need to ask the owner of the current plan to go with me to a AT&T store to do that?

Or I can do the whole thing completely online?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@huahero wrote:

Hello,

I'm now in a 5-person family plan. I'm not the owner of the plan. My 2-year contract starts from Jul-2012.

Now I want to quit the current family plan for some personal reasons and build a new family plan (being the owner of the new plan).

I'm wondering if that is possible?

If possible, what should I do? Do I need to ask the owner of the current plan to go with me to a AT&T store to do that?

Or I can do the whole thing completely online?

Thanks.

Have the primary account holder do a transfer of billing responsiblity on your phone line to a single plan, then just convert to a family plan. Be aware that if you have any grandfathered plans they will be removed. In addtion, depending on your credit rating you maybe required to place a deposit on the new line. It can all be done online if I recall right

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

You may keep you current 20.00 300 mb data plan. The grandfathered plans are plans individual lines may have that are no longer offered by at&t but thst line can keep it until either they decide to change to a current offer or they make a change that may require them to choose one of tje offered plans or features.

As for the transfer of billing responsibility (tobr) it can be initiated by the account owner for free by going to att.com/ transferservice. once initiated you will recieve an email with a link for you to complete it. you have 14 days to complete it. You may be required to pay a deposit based on a credit check.

Hope this helps!!

🙂

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

What if I just need an individual plan?

The 2-year contract is between ATT and me, right? It's not between the family plan and me?

Will I be effected or get punishment when quit the family plan?

What's grandfathered plan?

In the current family plan, I'm now using $20 (300MB) data plan (personally), and sharing 700min (in the family plan).

If I quit from the family plan, I will lose the 700min sharing, I know this. But will lose the $20 data plan?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

Yes the contract is between AT&T and your phone line. There is no "punishment" going from family to individual.
Grandfathered plans are old data, minute and texting plans that AT&T no longer offers.
The $20 300 MB plan is current. If you had an older unlimited data plan or the $15 200 MB plans or an old texting plan (now they just have unlimited texting), they have been discontinued and you would not be able to keep them. Since your data plan is current, it will transfer with you.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you. It helps a lot.

Another concern:

As usual, we 5 person in the family plan pay together every three months. That is, we give our checks (or cash) to one person and that person pays all the fee for all of us. And our next payment date will be in April.

If I quit the current plan tomorrow, I also want to pay the fees I've spent from last payment day till now (the time when I quit).

Can I pay that directly to AT&T?

Or I should wait till their next payment date and give my check to that person?

Thanks.  

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@huahero wrote:

Thank you. It helps a lot.

Another concern:

As usual, we 5 person in the family plan pay together every three months. That is, we give our checks (or cash) to one person and that person pays all the fee for all of us. And our next payment date will be in April.

If I quit the current plan tomorrow, I also want to pay the fees I've spent from last payment day till now (the time when I quit).

Can I pay that directly to AT&T?

Or I should wait till their next payment date and give my check to that person?

Thanks.  

that last bill for that line will not be prorated, so you will owe them the entire month, remember that your first bill on the new plan will be prorated so it could be near double the normal monthly bill

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

You mean if I quit the family plan on Feb 22, then I should pay the entire Feb fees?

I can pay the fee of entire Feb.

But I'm wondering if I could pay that fee directly to AT&T?

Every 3 months, one person in our family plan calculates every other person's fee for the 3 months, and other members just need to give checks (or cash) to that person, and she will pay all fees for us.

Now, I do not wanna give checks to that person who is responsible for paying in our current family plan.

I just wanna pay all fees of my line in the family plan when I quit it. 

Is it possible?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@huahero wrote:

You mean if I quit the family plan on Feb 22, then I should pay the entire Feb fees?

I can pay the fee of entire Feb.

But I'm wondering if I could pay that fee directly to AT&T?

Every 3 months, one person in our family plan calculates every other person's fee for the 3 months, and other members just need to give checks (or cash) to that person, and she will pay all fees for us.

Now, I do not wanna give checks to that person who is responsible for paying in our current family plan.

I just wanna pay all fees of my line in the family plan when I quit it. 

Is it possible?

do not think that is possibe, the bill and the account is in the primary account holders name, that would be a better question answered by sending a Private Message to Community Support@ATTHelpForums is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for your private message.  We received it and replied.  We look forward to helping your resolve your concerns.

Thanks,

Phillisa

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

If I remove myself from an At&T family plan will my information from previous months still be viewable by the people that are still on the family plan? For example, will my call logs still be accessible to them?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.