Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How much does it cost to text someone in another country?

Highlighted
Contributor

How much does it cost to text someone in another country?

I am an American living in the US with an American cell number.  My friend is American with an US phone number.  She is currently visiting Europe for a week.  She and I have been texting all week.  I text her US number while she is in Europe and she texts my US number while I am home in the US.  Will I incur any fees or charges for texting her back while she is abroad? I read online crazy stories about people incurring thousands of dollars in fees, will I be charged anything considering that i texting a US number that happens to be abroad for a week?

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 6
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Anonymous0000
‎08-11-2016 5:30 AM

Re: Texting a US number that is visiting Europe, who gets charged?

Hi @Anonymous0000,

Since you're texting a domestic number, it will come out of your domestic plan allotment. It doesn't matter where in the world that person is, if it's a US (domestic) number, you're going to pay your domestic rate, which in most cases is nothing since most people these days have unlimited domestic texting.

Your friend will pay her provider roaming (or she may have a package or some other agreement of course). That's how her carrier makes up for having to cover the cost of forwarding the message on to her overseas.

It's also worth noting that if you're on a Mobile Share Value Plan, you have unlimited texting to over 120 countries anway, so texting a European phone number may be free for you as it is. 🙂

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

thank you so much for your quick response.  My sister and friends were telling me the sam thing, but for some reasons I thought I would be charged anyways.

Now if we have a group text going, we are 4 friends keeping in touch with that one friend that is visiting Europe, all of us have US phone numbers, this means that it is like texting domestically as well, no extra charge will incur, right?

Message 3 of 6
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Anonymous0000
‎08-11-2016 5:30 AM

@Anonymous0000,

You're correct. Group messaging uses MMS in most cases (when it's all iPhones with iMessage enabled, you'll have that, instead of course), which would still be the same cost wise. As long as your plan has domestic MMS included, you're good. Unless you have a strange plan from an company AT&T bought previously, you're good.

If you're on any of the old Nation or FamilyTalk plans with either a tiered or unlimited messaging plan, you have either up to the amount of the tiered plan or unlimited domestic SMS and MMS. If you have a Mobile Share or Mobile Share Value Plan, you have unlimited domestic SMS and MMS. If you have a Mobile Share Value Plan, you also have unlimited SMS and MMS to over 120 countries.

In any situation, the way to remember it is, "if this person was at the location their number is actually from, would it cost me extra?". If the answer is no, then it's no whether they're roaming or not, since that's on them, not you.

Hope this helps,

Justin

Justin

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Thank you Justin.  It makes sense.  Have a great day 🙂

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

I just switched to unlimited plus plan. What are the 120 countries with free texting?
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support