How do I change cell phone carriers from Verizon to AT&T with little or no penalties?

Highlighted
Contributor

How do I change cell phone carriers from Verizon to AT&T with little or no penalties?

I am interested in disconnecting my cell phone service with Verizon because of continual hidden fees that are placed on my monthly bill. I have been with Verizon since 1993 and have grown tired of the ongoing problems. How can I start an account with AT&T?

Message 1 of 5 (45,288 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: How do I change cell phone carriers from Verizon to AT&T with little or no penalties?

you can do it online or in an AT&T store (by porting your wireless number to AT&T), quickest way is in store though. you will want to confirm with Verizon that your contract is over or when it does end, make sure not to leave them till 2 days before the end of the billing cycle the contract is in just to be safe (you would avoid proration of bill and the ETF),
Message 2 of 5 (45,258 Views)
Former Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: How do I change cell phone carriers from Verizon to AT&T with little or no penalties?

Great advice Wilcre!

Awade2 - Here is some information about bringing your number over to AT&T. Please let us know if you have any other questions & welcome to AT&T! (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/transferyournumber.html)

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 5 (45,191 Views)
Master

wilcre wrote:
you can do it online or in an AT&T store (by porting your wireless number to AT&T), quickest way is in store though. you will want to confirm with Verizon that your contract is over or when it does end, make sure not to leave them till 2 days before the end of the billing cycle the contract is in just to be safe (you would avoid proration of bill and the ETF),

Gosh dang it you broke my code of silence. Smiley Mad  

Make sure it is the end of the billing cycle after the contract end date has been reached.  There is no bill proration on Verizon bills.  It will be billed to the end of the billing cycle.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5 (45,172 Views)
Guru

Welcome to ATT.  Just know that you can't bring your phone over with you.  With only one or two exceptions, the two companies use incompatible technology.  While the iPhone 4s and greater will technically work on both networks, a Verizon iPhone is blocked from working on ATT.

Message 5 of 5 (44,986 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.