For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Auggie_Braque's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 5th, 2016 6:33 PM

How Do You Fight AT&T to Get Your Unlmited Data Plan Restored?

While recently visiting an A&T Store to upgrade to an iPhone 6s Plus for my wife's Christmas present, I learned my AT&T wireless plan had been changed a little over 6 months ago.  The change moved my account from an unlimited data plan to a 3GB per month data plan. 

I did not authorize this change. The reason is that I'm holding a grandfathered unlimited data plan and have no intention of ever dropping this unlimited plan. 

Since I have a corporate discount plan, I was told to call AT&T directly to resolve the issue because the AT&T Store isn't able to service these types of accounts.

The AT&T Wireless customer service representative (CSR) shared that someone called using my name and the last four digits of my SSN to change my account from an unlimited data plan to a 3 GB data plan.  The rep stated their notes referred to a woman making the changes.  I am a male and the only authorized name on the account. 

The rep said she needed to set up a case number for the back office to reinstate my grandfathered data plan.  She said not to worry. "It's an open and shut case" since their records refer to a woman using my name to make unauthorized changes.  I felt good with the reassurance from the rep that I had a "slam dunk" case and would be back to my old unlimited data plan within the next 12 days.

Today, I called back AT&T to get the status of my case.  I was told, "People in the back office denied your claim because it's been over 90 days".  The AT&T claims department also reasoned "the customer made the changes in May, 2015".  Lastly, I was told there is no appeal process nor can I speak with the person handling my case.

How do you fight AT&T in this situation to get a grandfathered unlimited data plan restored?  I've been a customer of theirs dating back to almost 20 years with the old Cingular Wireless company.  Like others on this board, I feel completely betrayed by AT&T and am now looking to move to another carrier if the unlimited plan is not restored to my account.

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

You can try and private message @ATTMobilityCare with your account and contact information, maybe they can help, but from what I have read, you only have 90 days to have the unlimited data restored. For that reason, you should have checked your bill occasionally. Since the 90 days has passed, it may be impossible to restore the unlimited data.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

Your situation is exactly the reason why you should be reading your bill every month.  Had you bee monitoring your bill, you should have caught this change when it was made, and then it would have been "a slam dunk" to get it fixed.  Since you let it go for 6 months without challenging it, and paid the bills you had received itemizing the account changes, you gave AT&T an implied consent to the the change.  Regretfully, there is little chance you will get the old account type back due to your letting it go for so long before reporting it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

I have to say ditto.  The computer system does not allow changes or corrections after 90 days. 

If you haven't noticed the difference and haven't gone over in 6 months, you may be holding on to a plan that will cost you more to keep, than it benefits you.

The only people who benefit from keeping the plan are those who use over 5 GB every month 

Since this bell can't be un-rung, it might be time to look into the benefits of a shared data plan.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I really like your idea of private messaging to @ATTMobilityCare

One follow up question...how do I private message them?  Again, thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

Click on their name, the blue link in the post. It will take you to their page. On the lower left, there is a button "Message".

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.