Need help understanding your bill?
Palindrome's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, October 26th, 2017 5:27 PM

Help me get AT&T to unlock the phone!

I received an iPhone 6Splus from a dear friend after her husband's death.  The AT&T account was in his name only, and when his widow called to inform AT&T of his death, she was told that the account would be closed because of death, and because it was in his name only, no further payments would be asked for or expected.  She asked what to do about his phone and was told, "His contract is cancelled, the phone is yours to do with whatever you want.  You do not have to return it.  Use it yourself, give it away, throw it out if you want - it's yours now."

She gave the phone to me, as I've said, but AT&T will not unlock it so that I can take it to my carrier.  The reasons I've been given are (and these are from 4 different AT&T reps): 1) the phone is still under contract - well, the account is closed, so...?  2) the widow has to pay off the phone - she was told to do whatever she wanted with it, and has witnesses to that effect, 3)  The phone was a gift to me, and as it has not been reported lost or stolen, I can use it, BUT ONLY ON AT&T!, and finally, 4) I can pay off the phone, have it activated on AT&T, wait a few days, complain about the service, then request an unlock so I can take it to Verizon.  Really.  REALLY!!??

Man, AT&T really does not want to let go.  Maybe this is the only was they can hold on to customers?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Palindrome wrote:

I received an iPhone 6Splus from a dear friend after her husband's death.  The AT&T account was in his name only, and when his widow called to inform AT&T of his death, she was told that the account would be closed because of death, and because it was in his name only, no further payments would be asked for or expected.  She asked what to do about his phone and was told, "His contract is cancelled, the phone is yours to do with whatever you want.  You do not have to return it.  Use it yourself, give it away, throw it out if you want - it's yours now."

She gave the phone to me, as I've said, but AT&T will not unlock it so that I can take it to my carrier.  The reasons I've been given are (and these are from 4 different AT&T reps): 1) the phone is still under contract - well, the account is closed, so...?  2) the widow has to pay off the phone - she was told to do whatever she wanted with it, and has witnesses to that effect, 3)  The phone was a gift to me, and as it has not been reported lost or stolen, I can use it, BUT ONLY ON AT&T!, and finally, 4) I can pay off the phone, have it activated on AT&T, wait a few days, complain about the service, then request an unlock so I can take it to Verizon.  Really.  REALLY!!??

Man, AT&T really does not want to let go.  Maybe this is the only was they can hold on to customers?

Answer 3) is the correct one. Because the account was permanently closed and remaining fees or commitments waived, it is permanently locked to AT&T. You will not be able to have it unlocked. 

You can use AT&T's service or sell/give away the phone to someone who wishes to only ever use AT&T with that phone. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

Agree.  #3 is correct.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

This iPhone is now in my name,  The other day I was uploading photo files to my PC and it became locked. No matter what I try it doesn't unlock.  This is the third time I have been online for help.  Each time it gets messed up near the end of the conversation,

I am sorry,

Mona

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

This phone has been in service in my name for quite some time!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I really love this phone - what must I do to get it working again?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

@OhioHnn66

Your post doesnt explain the problem.  How is the phone “locked”.  Post what messages to errors you see.  What does it say in notification bar?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40you think its screen locked and cant remember the code?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

@Constructive  Yup...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry to cause you so much trouble. I took it to the phone store and the young man eliminated the "stuck" mode. It became that way when I proceeded to attach phone to my PC in order to download the recent photos. Is there a better way?
I have another question now, can I use the PC in order to input contacts. At one point I was able to do that.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

6 years ago

Contacts should be syncing with an email account, like gmail or yahoo.  Add the account in your settings on the phone, then include by ✔️ it in your “groups” in contacts app on the phone.  

I recommend adding google photos to the iPhone and set to backup over Wifi.  Chose unlimited storage option.   Leave the app open and phone plugged in over night to finish backing up all photos.    

Highly advise you let it finish ..

You can then access google photo on computer or any device with gmail user name and password or google photo app.  It will auto back up over Wifi daily. 

No need to ever plug in to computer again.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.