Need help understanding your bill?
cllfdance's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, July 7th, 2017 6:17 PM

Ghost account

I recently purchased a new LG smartphone online. It was sold as unlocked but in fact it was locked. I successfully got it unlocked initially through the AT&T unlock portal. But on the advice of my provider, when setting things up, they had me reset the phone. That locked it again.
Now, I am getting replies from the unlock portal saying the device cannot be unlocked because there is an outstanding issue with an account associated with that device.
Well, it was supposed to be a brand new device. And I have no current account with AT&T. I've talked with many customer service reps and have had no luck with this problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. C3.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

7 years ago

@cllfdance wrote:
I recently purchased a new LG smartphone online. It was sold as unlocked but in fact it was locked. I successfully got it unlocked initially through the AT&T unlock portal. But on the advice of my provider, when setting things up, they had me reset the phone. That locked it again.
Now, I am getting replies from the unlock portal saying the device cannot be unlocked because there is an outstanding issue with an account associated with that device.
Well, it was supposed to be a brand new device. And I have no current account with AT&T. I've talked with many customer service reps and have had no luck with this problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. C3.

Have you contacted the seller or the site you purchased from? If sold as unlocked, you have a right to assume it's unlocked...if you purchased it through a reputable website. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

No, that's last resort.
I got it through Ebay from an overseas vendor. My impression it was directly from LG manufacturers in Korea. It looked brand new, in a new shrink wrapped LG box. Evidently, originally made for AT&T (imbedded) but otherwise clean.

It seems to me if it was as advertised, It wouldn't have been locked and apparently with some kind of history.
The vendor was amiable when contacted at the time of purchase. I just wanted to be exhaust all possibilities before returning to them.

It seems to me getting this "billing block" resolved should be doable but, maybe not.

Thanks for your response.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

What do you mean locked again?   A phone cannot be relocked if unlocked through Att portal.  

What message are you getting when you install a SIM card?

invalid sim?

Network blocked?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, that's what happened.
It was sold as unlocked. When unable to import with my provider (not AT&T) found phone was compatible but in fact locked!!
Then, I applied through the AT&T unlock portal and was successful. I was then able to set things up with (CC) my provider and the phone was functional.

Almost.

My MMS wasn't functioning properly and I went to CC for help.
They took me into settings and we reconfigured some of the APN settings and they had me delete some old stuff.
SNAP, the phone wouldn't see the cell signal. Everything else works, it goes online through wifi, but no cell connectivity.
Locked out.

There has been 3 attempts since to go through the unlock portal but keep getting reply stating unable to unlock because of billing issues!?

Baffled.

Can't remember the prompt when booting new sim. I hesitate to test it with the good one in my presently working phone for fear of damaging the card.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Please be specific....

does it say Network blocked?

This means something completely different.  Network blocked means the phone registered on the cell network long enough to trigger the blacklist put in it.  It means the phone was listed as stolen.  

Considering how you describe the purchase, that seems likely.  Contact the seller, and be ready to dispute with EBay help.  After 2 weeks a lot of scammers close their eBay account and get a new one, stiffing buyers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.