Explore & discover

Helpful Links

First Responder Discount issues

Contributor

First Responder Discount issues

We were shown the First Responder Discount program at a Costco kiosk and were told all my husband needed to do was to show his ID and we'd be set-up with the 25% off discount. We tried to upload a picture of it online but it didn't work so my husband went to the corporate store. He was told he was not eligible because the account was in my name (again, I am his wife and we live in the same house, share the same phones ... the account for our home phone and internet is in his name but that didn't matter) and also because he was retired! The ads are VERY misleading as no where does it say you must be the account holder. And do deny retired firefighters these benefits is a slap in the face to those who have served. We are locked into a 30-month deal and are extremely dissatisfied with AT&T but will have to ride it out as the contract is what it is. 

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: First Responder Discount issues

The only thing you are locked into is paying for phones. You can terminate service at anytime. I don’t know what misleading ads you are referring to but the eligibility requirements for first responders are posted online at: https://www.att.com/offers/firstresponders.html

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Contributor

You are correct, it states acceptable ID's are a badge, a paystub, a 1099
or a signed affidavit ... it does not state you must have all 4. When the
promotion was presented to us, we were not told the account had to be in my
husband's name and you would think when the updated our account, we would
have been told this so we could get the discount.
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Sage

@fireandrein wrote:
or a signed affidavit ... it does not state you must have all 4.   
You don’t.  But as a retiree, he would have none, and authenticating employment would fail, therefore no discount.

When the promotion was presented to us, we were not told the account had to be in my
That would be an extremely simple fix if he were eligible for the discount.  All it takes is a transfer of billing responsibility between you.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert

@fireandrein wrote:
or a signed affidavit ... it does not state you must have all 4.

Which one did he have?

When the
promotion was presented to us, we were not told the account had to be in my

It says in the offer. "...address on wireless bill must match address on video and/or internet bill and primary wireless account holder name must match that of eligible qualified military veteran..."

It's fairly simple to transfer to the billing into his name, but if he doesn't meet the other requirements, it's moot. 

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

He has his badge but they wouldn't accept it because it had no expiration
date? Not sure of any firefighters badge that has an expiration date ...
Message 6 of 7
ACE - Sage

@fireandrein wrote:
He has his badge but they wouldn't accept it because it had no expiration
date? Not sure of any firefighters badge that has an expiration date ...

None of the information says ’expiration date’.  The discount doesn’t start until the employment/volunteer status is verified, which is why it takes 2 to 3 months to kick in.

Any discount that he is eligible for (if he is)  cannot be applied to your account.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support