For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Bonbonnie's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 28th, 2018 4:20 AM

Family plan change to prepaid

My family and I are going to move to Asia. We would like to change our family plan to minimal or prepaid plan. Is it possible to do that?

If it cannot be changed to prepaid, we will consider cutting the service/ phone no.

And can I cut the service online or I have to come to the store to do it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Best to go to a corporate store to change to prepaid. It will cost you a minimum of $100 per year per line to keep the numbers active on prepaid. As for google voice, more info here: https://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

You do not want to switch to prepaid. Prepaid service will not work outside the USA except for Canada and Mexico. If you are moving to Asia, there is no reason to keep your ATT service. You need to call or go to an ATT corporate store to cancel. If you want to keep your numbers for a future return to the US, you can port them to google voice. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for answering me, sandblaster.

I do understand that prepaid will not work outside US. But I want to keep the numbers for future visit to US, it may be quite frequent...I don't know yet. That's why I want to change to prepaid or pay as you go..

Do I have to call them/ go to ATT store as well if I want to change to prepaid or pay as you go?

I have no idea about the google voice. Could you please explain more to me about porting it to google voice??? 

Thank you

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Bonbonnie

I agree with @sandblaster  idea of porting to Google voice to save your numbers.  Porting to GV will cancel your ATT services without calling them.  Far cheaper, and you can use GV with your existing numbers and any prepaid sim when in the US (essentially have 2 numbers, one real one virtual. ). 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.