Need help understanding your bill?
securitynow's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, December 16th, 2018 7:33 PM

FRAUD and SECURITY

I was at an ATT store a couple of mos. ago and service person encouraged me to sign up for a new service, which I did. Although I'm already an ATT customer, she required my personal data including my SocSec#. When I got home, I had 2 emails from fraudsters asking me to verify some info. The time of the emails was exactly the time the serviceperson was inputting my data. The emails look like bona fide ATT msgs but stated my acct no. ending in XXXX, which is not my #.  I  canceled the new service, asked ATT to scrub the data I had given and told ATT why. Never  heard a thing back, not confirmation of cancellation, nothing.

Yesterday I called ATT abt a billing question and service person likewise encouraged me to sign up for the same new service. I told her the problem above, adding I would sign up but not give my SocSec # since last time fraudsters were watching as my data was inputted. I told her I would give her my new SocSec # , i.e. SSAdmin recently sent new #s to all recipients as a security measure.  This # is a "mask" so if you lose the SS card, it's not the real number. The new SS # was not accepted by ATT bc the number of digits is different from the real SS#, so data could not be inputted.

Perusing my inbox afterward, I had another fraudulent email msg asking me to verify my data, just like the previous ones. This msg was, like the first two, sent at exactly the time I signed up. So ATT did not fix the same problem I had two months ago.

Comment: 1) ATT needs to accept the new SocSec numbers, which were sent to SS recipients abt a year ago for security; 2) Why does ATT need personal data for a new service if the customer is already an ATT customer in good standing? 3) Why isn't ATT fixing its security issue as described? This is of significant concern, enough so I'm looking for a new company to provide services I now have w/ATT. This company is very quick to act if your roaming minutes go over, but your security, not so much.

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

I have never heard of these mask numbers from Social Security. Can you provide a link?

What evidence do you have that these emails are not legitimate? Where did you get your account number that doesn’t match?

Guru

• 

321 Messages

5 years ago

There were new "Medicare" numbers issued in the last year that didn't use your Social Security number anymore. I haven't ever heard of "masked" Social Security numbers. There wasn't a new "masked" Social Security number issued to me or my family or anyone I know!

How do you know that the emails were from "fraudsters"? As far as the different account number, you said you "started a new service". Could that "wrong" account number be for the new service? The new account number would be emailed to you just after you signed up. If the phone number in the email was 800-331-0500 that is the contact number for AT&T.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

The only time I’ve heard of a ss# different from the original is in cases of identity theft.  

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

Even if you have experienced identity theft (and who hasn't?), changing your SSN is a rare and extreme measure, and it is not easy to do.

I think OP is just some combination of paranoid and not understanding account numbers.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@TROLLEDYOUSO

Knock wood.  I think the surge happened when I was going through a divorce and my credit was so bad no one in their right mind wanted it.  😂.    But it gave me time to secure things as my email got hacked during this time twice.  Hacker apparently tested the waters and found me lacking.  

I do know someone and the IRS assigned them a number to use because the theif not only hacked accounts, but filed a tax return early and claimed a big refund.  Now that’s a hacker with big brass ones.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I had a mistake in my post. The no. that was sent by fed gov as a mask is the Medicare no., not the SSN. Still the q remains: why does ATT need a SSN when I'm already a customer in good standing on Autopay?

Associated Member

• 

158 Messages

5 years ago

I have to agree with @billsite34

You mentioned signing up for "New service" do you know what that was from? Also the Emails don't seem as if they're coming from Hackers if you're getting them when your info is being input, matter of fact to me that sounds like a confirmation Email. If you're signing up for a new account, then that is why the SS# is asked for, if you're adding a line then there should be no reason to ask other than maybe verifying the last 4 already existent. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

You're right, I made a mistake. Still the basic story is the same. ATT should ask for the last 4 digits, not the whole SSN. The new service I was signing up for is DirecTV

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

If the emails weren't from hackers/phishers, why did they have my last 4 digits of my acct no. wrong each time? (Total of phishes sent = 3)

Associated Member

• 

158 Messages

5 years ago

@securitynow I hear you, but I can't imagine AT&T/DTV having such a huge security flaw where the information is being caught by an employee inserting info on their computers. If you got a different account number 3 times, it could be the person(s) trying to help you sign up for DTV attempted to create a new account 3 times. I've seen people complain about that on the Forums before. 

@tgreaves Would you happen to know if it's standard to ask for the Social when signing up for DTV, I imagine it is as they use different systems unless unified. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.