Need help understanding your bill?
mfount20's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 14th, 2015 8:48 PM

Extra payments.

I am in the AT&T next plan. Can I make extra monthly payments (more than plan agreement) and payoff cost of phone sooner than agreed? If so what is the preferred method to make and specify that payment? Would it be a check with a note, pay to a third party....... ?   

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@mfount20 wrote:

I am in the AT&T next plan. Can I make extra monthly payments (more than plan agreement) and payoff cost of phone sooner than agreed? If so what is the preferred method to make and specify that payment? Would it be a check with a note, pay to a third party....... ?   

Well, this is a grey area.  I have spoken with many different people at AT&T with this very question.  The most common response is that you can't really do it.  It is possible, if you go to the right AT&T corporate owned store and speak with the right AT&T rep, to make extra payments towards your NEXT agreement, but in general, the AT&T billing system does not make this an easy thing to do.  They have the NEXT agreemetn payment/billing system taked onto the regular monthly billing system, so in general, if you make extra payments, it just goes towards your next monthly bill.  The AT&T preferred solution would be for you to just put the extra motnhly payments into yoru own savings account, and when you have saved enough to pay off the full balance, then you go to AT&T and give it to them all in one payment.  Using this method, you might earn a little extra interest on the monthly payments while AT&T doesn't charge you anything for your outstanding balance.  I have had a couple people tell me that they were able to go to their local corporate store and make extra payments that went towards their NEXT balance, but not all stores seem to be able to do this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I was told prior to 'deciding' on my new phone/&thus carrier/plan,etc., that I could pay a specific amount down & then afterwards-when I received my phone(s)- [I got a bogo] & took them in to activate them, I was told they (the employees @Brightlinks, Three Rivers, MI) could NOT take partial payments because they weren't a corporate store. I've been lied to by 5 out of 7 people at this company about this very issue now (online, on phone, & in person!) & would like to know...before I make my 1st payment. There's an option to pay in full in 'myatt' app, but I feel like that may just go to service charges...and a phone call and q&a seems pointless as I just keep getting 'smiles and lies.' Can I pay -lets say $500 down on my nearly $800 phone to help reduce my monthly bills? Or is it as the 2 people I talked to that said (both in fairly annoyed manners-but frankly at least i felt as though they just may not have been lying) -I have to pay the phone in full? If either of these are true, Does anyone know how or if it's possible-please be truthful. Can't take more fakeness.😠 Misled in MI

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

On the NEXT plan, it is pay it off or pay just what you owe each month. You cannot make "extra" payments towards paying off the NEXT plan.

You can pay the phone off in full or you can pay up to the trade in payment and trade in your phone if it meets the specifications but you cannot pay extra on the NEXT plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Just spoke to my AT&T manager, he told me AT&T only allows full payment in one transaction, I was seeking to pay 250 one month, then 250 the next, I got shot down, personally think its crappy, just like AT&T having the right to sell your mobile number to solicitor's, but they do.

My plan is to put 250 aside one month then 250 the next month, then looking at another carrier.

Associated Member

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

when you sign on ATT Next or ATT Next every year, you must to read teh terms and conditions or at least ask through the chat to get more information about it, On next the lumps is 80% of the phone and for ext every year 50% of the phone, that´s how the plan was dessigned and believe me ATT wont modify anything because you dont like how bussines work , at least att doesnt sign you in a 2 years contract where you pay almost the double for the device that once you finish have a trade in value for $50 bucks, if you want to pay less or paid as soon as possible your device the best option is put a downpayment when you are making the purchase, it will help you a lot!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Rphot64, you’ve figured out the perfect solution, plus you’ll earn interest on the $250 for a month. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.