Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Enabling personal hotspot with unlimited data plan

Tutor

Enabling personal hotspot with unlimited data plan

I have an unlimited data plan and I would like to enable my personal hotspot so I can use my iPad.  I am being told, in order to use the personal hotspot, I have to lose my unlimited plan and pay $50 per month for 5GB.  Does this make any sense to anyone?  If I have an unlimited data plan, what difference does it make which device I use (iPhone or iPad), it all takes from my existing data plan.  This is AT&T's attempt to get people with grandfatherred in unlimited data plan to pay extra to use this feature.  Extremely disappointed in AT&T. 

Message 1 of 218
Contributor

Re: This makes no sense.

Alex why was AT&T able to allow that to happen in certain areas almost unrestricted until 2018? Your point would make great sense if they hadn’t so sporadically enforced it. Coverage is still terrible. Zero quality improvements on AT&T’s end. “Can’t gave your cake and eat it too?” Lol you mean customers receiving what they paid for? ATT has a troubled reputation taking advantage of consumers ie 2015, 2017. Maybe it’s because employees paid to respond to complaining customers about subpar service in lieu of providing good customer service and service that people have such high dissatisfaction with AT&T. No att has a terrible habit of underserving and underperformance. 

Message 211 of 218
ACE - Sage

@Tholt12 wrote:

Alex why was AT&T able to allow that to happen in certain areas almost unrestricted until 2018? Your point would make great sense if they hadn’t so sporadically enforced it. Coverage is still terrible. Zero quality improvements on AT&T’s end. “Can’t gave your cake and eat it too?” Lol you mean customers receiving what they paid for? ATT has a troubled reputation taking advantage of consumers ie 2015, 2017. Maybe it’s because employees paid to respond to complaining customers about subpar service in lieu of providing good customer service and service that people have such high dissatisfaction with AT&T. No att has a terrible habit of underserving and underperformance. 

Alex who?   The only employee on this thread was David.   The topic started in 2013, when ATT prohibited tethering on unlimited plans.   As of the 2017 unlimited Plans, one (more expensive) DOES offer tethering.  Only the Unlimited Plus plan offered from February 2017 and now grandfathered, had dedicated hotspots allowed.  

If coverage is a problem, find a new carrier.   The network is overloaded everywhere.   5G can’t come soon enough.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 212 of 218
Employee

There isn't a gray area where "getting what someone has paid for" can be
defined by anything other than the terms and conditions of the service and
plan itself.

Which is very clear....The devices themselves are entitled to unlimited
data. Someone's computers, game consoles and smart TVs are not. I
understand frustration when coverage isn't where someone wants it to be but
that has nothing to do with hotspot and unlimited data.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 213 of 218
Contributor

Yes you can have cake and eat it to just switch to straight talk like iamI going to do

Message 214 of 218
ACE - Expert

Re: What is the cake?

@Allybear wrote:

Yes you can have cake and eat it to just switch to straight talk like iamI going to do

Ally,  you've offered no useful information here.   Are you saying Straight Talk has unlimited hotspot? Please provide a link...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 215 of 218
ACE - Sage

@Allybear

Thats funny.  S.T. Warns you about exceeding 60 gigs of data in the unlimited plan.  Not very unlimited 

0A3C99E2-D27F-4289-877E-DAA5B8494A61.jpeg

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 216 of 218
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 And does that include hotspot?  (That is the topic of this thread)

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 217 of 218
Contributor

Most Android phones will allow you to use the hotspot feature. Some of the more expensive phone companies made a deal with at&t to make their software block tethering.

Message 218 of 218
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support