Need help understanding your bill?
bigelarkin's profile

Scholar

• 

232 Messages

Saturday, October 28th, 2017 2:35 PM

Early termination fee?

I'm a 2 year contract, and I think my 2 year contract ends sometimes in Jan. 2018,   I was wondering if I upgraded my phone now would I have to pay any early termatioin fee?    When I go through the upgrade process it dose not tell me if I have to pay for a early termination fee.

and on my online account profile I can't find the end  end date for my 2 year contract

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 Not as concerned as if told "no" as if hit with an ETF (which was the OP's question).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Gary L@lizdance40 The only thing ATT might not allow is starting a Next plan before the 2 year contract is complete. However, if you remember all of the early upgrade questions that were asked after they stopped doing 2 year contracts, it was pretty clear ATT regularly let those on 2 year contracts upgrade on Next before their 2 year contracts were over. If the OP’s account is already showing they are upgrade eligible, then they eligible for a Next upgrade. They can of course pay full price and upgrade anytime they want. Neither will trigger an ETF charge.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster  See that’s a quirk of ATT.  Verizon never gave an inch.  A 2 year contract was 24 months long.  You could upgrade 1 week into that 24th month, but the account never said upgrade eligible until the full 2 years went by.  

Had we known ATT was so liberal we might have left years ago.  Apparently ATT contract lines were often “upgrade eligible “ at 18 to 20 months.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster I'm thinking they can, I thought in the past the were letting you do it with 6 months or less to go or something. 

Regardless (back to the OP), I don't think I've heard of anyone getting dinged with an ETF for doing it.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@sandblaster I'm thinking they can, I thought in the past the were letting you do it with 6 months or less to go or something. 

Regardless (back to the OP), I don't think I've heard of anyone getting dinged with an ETF for doing it.

As I said in post #2, I guarantee they won’t. An ETF is only charged for cancelling service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.