Need help understanding your bill?
jsanchezflores13's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013 1:47 AM

Does AT&T charge for using the google navigator application?

I know that they charge you if you want to use their own AT&T navigator app, but what I'm trying to ask is if they charge you for using GPS on google navigator. An AT&T agent told me that they do in fact charge you for the use of GPS on any app that uses navigation. . I'm not sure if I explained my self correctly but I want to make sure it is true before continuing to use it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

The agent needs to be educated. There is no such thing as "GPS" data. It all runs over your smartphone data plan.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

The app itself is free and so is the navigation but what isn't free is your data plan and that is what the app needs to function so technically your already paying for it. Let me know if it makes sense to you.

Former Employee

• 

82 Messages

11 years ago

Navigation by Google is a free application provided by the Google Play Store.

We do not charge you to use Google Navigation, however this does consume your data.

Please use *DATA# to always check your data usage, and make sure you're staying within your data limits.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks it made sense.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

The agent also said that they charge for every gigabyte of "GPS" data I use. I asked him if that was being used from my data plan and he said that they are two separate things since GPS uses more data. Is this true?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, that helped a lot.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Max69 wrote:

The agent needs to be educated. There is no such thing as "GPS" data. It all runs over your smartphone data plan.

Perhaps "GPS" data is not the correct term but your phone's GPS receiver definitely receives GPS information from the GPS satellites, but no there is no charge for whatever your phone is receiving from those satellites. So, in the case of google navigator, the app recieves location information from the GPS satellites but uses your data plan to download the map data being displayed on your phone. If you had a navigation app that already had the map data installed on your phone (like TomTom), you wouldn't use any of your data plan.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Max69 wrote:

Perhaps "GPS" data is not the correct term but your phone's GPS receiver definitely receives GPS information from the GPS satellites, but no there is no charge for whatever your phone is receiving from those satellites. So, in the case of google navigator, the app recieves location information from the GPS satellites but uses your data plan to download the map data being displayed on your phone. If you had a navigation app that already had the map data installed on your phone (like TomTom), you wouldn't use any of your data plan.

tom tom will download the maps but stil utilze cellular data for the real time traffic updates

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

9 years ago

GPS usage in and of itself does not consume any data. In order to make sense of the GPS though you probably need a map which can tell you where you're at.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.