Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Do software updates use data?

Highlighted
Contributor

Do software updates use data?

Does at&t charge (data) for phone updates?

Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎11-10-2015 5:12 AM

Re: update

If not on WiFi, yes, data usage is charged.  You should go to the Google Play store or the Apple apps store and in settings, make sure it updates over WiFi only. Only update the OS over wifi, unless you have plenty of data left near the end of the month that will expire anyway.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7

How much data usage?
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

@cheryllynn84 Depends how big your apps are and how many you have that get updated.

I don't think Apple does over the air updates greater then 100MB each, but a few dozen updates adds up.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7

It's a Samsung Galaxy not an Iphone. I should have said that in the post
Message 5 of 7
ACE - Professor

As @Gary L mentions, it can vary a LOT, from app to app.

To avoid chewing through lots/all of your data, the general rule is to do these via WiFi type connection.  Obviously if you've got an app that needs an update, and only have cell access, than 1-2 shouldn't be an issue, in the big picture.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

@cheryllynn84 Apple is generally more restrictive, Android possibly allows larger updates.  

I gave Apple specific since that's what I use.  I'm not keeping other info to myslef Smiley Wink

If you are worried about the data then turn it off.  

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support