Need help understanding your bill?
thomaspaul2006's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, May 14th, 2017 3:22 PM

Closed

Do I still have a contract or not!!

I have tried 3 times calling customer service to find out if my contract is over or not and if I can have an upgrade or not- three times I have not been able to get the correct answer. The CS mention that I don't have a contract and I can get my phone unlocked but every time I try to get my phone unlocked in the website, I get a message that mine cannot be unlocked since i am under contract!! Can someone please help.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

$200 for an iPhone was a 2 year contract price. You are definitely under contract until July/Aug.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@thomaspaul2006 What date did you buy it?

What model phone is it?

Is it an actual contract that you put $199 down on?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

The unlock portal is way, way behind the billing system.  If you want to unlock the phone, call 611 and ask for advanced tech support.  Explain the portal is wrong and you want unlock code/approval.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Hi,

I don't remember the exact date, but believe it was in Aug/Sep-15.

This is a Iphone 6S 

I had paid about $ 200+ for the phone.

Can't see anything on the website that there is a contract for the phone.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

That's the whole question- why are the representatives(3 of them) saying something else- how do I know if I still am under contract on My Account in the website. How much money do I have to pay off if I want out of the contract now? Something official like this should not be so challenging to obtain?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

There used to be a link to find your contract status, with the new website I do not know where it is. Even with the old website, it was difficult to find. The only way to buy out of the contract is to terminate service. If you terminate you will be charged an early termination fee of $325 minus $10 for each completed month of the contract.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@thomaspaul2006 I found it. One logged in and viewing your wireless plan, scroll down to where the lines/devices on the plan are listed. Select the line/device in question. On that next page, scroll down to "My Wireless Contract" and select.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@thomaspaul2006 wrote:

I don't remember the exact date, but believe it was in Aug/Sep-15.

This is a Iphone 6S 

I had paid about $ 200+ for the phone.

That phone wasn't released until Sept. 25, 2015 so you have until at least that date in 2017.

So it depends on when you got it, did you get it on release day or later? 

And the contract is 2 years, not 24 bills. Some people have paid their 24th bill and still had a few days left and the computer still charged them an ETF. 

To me the best way is to get your phone unlocked BEFORE you leave. Then you know the ETF is really done and your phone is unlocked for use. I think that 6s is the most universal iPhone and works on most carriers. 

You could go try out multiple carriers and not even need to buy a new phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Well this brings the conversation full circle to - Why in the name of common sense was CS not able to tell the line was in contract?  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Tried the following:

"One logged in and viewing your wireless plan, scroll down to where the lines/devices on the plan are listed. Select the line/device in question. On that next page, scroll down to "My Wireless Contract" and select." 

Don't see My Wireless Contract.

Under Manage My Device & Features, I do see that 

Apple iPhone 6s

This device doesn't have an annual service commitment

If this is the case why does my unlock request being denied( 3 times) saying still under contract

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.