Need help understanding your bill?
nioby10's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 2nd, 2012 8:40 AM

Do I have to have a data plan for my smartphone?

So i have att and i hate that you need a data plan to buy a smartphone. so i this is what i do..  i buy a smartphone and get a data plan on it ( i get the lowest one 20$)  after a week or two i call say something happened to the phone and is no longer usable (water damage , bricked , exploded ,dropped , cracked blah blah blah) and i would like to cancel my data plan thats it thats all you gotta do.. all those lies about the phone wont work or it wont turn on if u dont have a data plan arent real. also its might help if you put ur sim in a different phone for 24 hours and then call so it doesnt look like ur still using it well i think thats it comment if u have any questions

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you can keep your plan and have a better phone.  Buy your own "unlocked" phone that is a GSM phone and put in your SIM card.  You may want to get a 4 band phone.  These phones are used in Europe and Asia.  When you travel you can keep using your own phone and buy a prepaid SIM card in the airport.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

You can buy an unlocked phone and put in your SIM card.  It will work just fine and you can get a phone that has wifi access to the internet.  It will work in any hotspot.  They are not hard to set up.  You just need a GSM phone.  You can get nice ones for less than $100. If you buy your own phones you do not need a long contract with AT&T.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

If you don't fall for the "free phone" bait, you can get out of the contract and go month to month. The contract is all in AT&T's favor.  It's not like we get to negociate.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

No, GSM is an international standard for cell phones, it is used in Europe and Asia.  It is just how the phone contacts the cell tower.  The IMEI number is a unique identifier for the phone. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

File a consumer complaint with the FCC at FCC.GOV

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@TiredMom2 wrote:

If you don't fall for the "free phone" bait, you can get out of the contract and go month to month. The contract is all in AT&T's favor.  It's not like we get to negociate.

you know it is really difficult to follow your train without knowing exactly what you are responding to.

How exactly can a free phone be bait when it is spelled out that you are under contractual agreement for 2 years, and the same time it states that a mandatory data plan is required for a smartphone. By the way you do have the option to negotiate, pay full retail price for the phone all at once or utilize the next plan.

Also - all duplicate posting does is raise your post count, it does nothing for getting your point across

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I understand paying for a data plan, but the additional charge of $20.00 just because you have a cell phone I don't understand (and that's 20.00 each line).  What does the "data plan" charge cover or should I say not cover.  I just cancelled my smartphone plan, data plan and in the process of ordering a quad band Wifi only phone.  Quad band seems to be the way to go since AT&T uses 850/1900 (unless you are lucky enough to find an AT&T phone).  Somewhat dissappointed in AT&T with their pricing (reps have been really nice).  Not sure the T-mobile 100.00 for four lines deal doesn't have something hidden in there.  I don't use data at all and Wifi once in a blue moon.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Anyone else sick of the sales pitch you have to listen to Every single time you contact ATT?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Brokerauction1 wrote:
Anyone else sick of the sales pitch you have to listen to Every single time you contact ATT?

Way less than having people post unrelated posts on an old thread...

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L   BWAHAHA

@Brokerauction1. If not every time I sign in.....   I'm very good at saying "no" before they finish.  

The best solution, is not to call unless you absolutely need to.  My ATT app is designed to meet all your needs.  I would be very surprised if you can name anything that can't be done by the customer without ever calling ATT.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.