Need help understanding your bill?
dbellnier's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, November 12th, 2012 3:15 PM

Dissatisfi​ed with data policy

I recently upgraded from a HTC Aria to a HTC Vivid.  I had no problems with upgrading.  My wife was having issues with her Pantec phone she upgraded several months ago, so I removed her sim card and installed it in my old HTC Aria, and turn off the data access.  Everything worked perfectly and she was very happy.

A few days later, she received a text message that a data plan has been added to her phone...  What?  Were on a fixed income and this is a big issue for us.

I called ATT customer support and told them what had happened and they stated that all smart phones require a data plan.  The fact is that a smart phone DOES NOT require a data plan to work property, this is not a technical issue with the phone, but an ATT policy issue and it sucks.

I will no longer stand behind ATT as I have for so many years.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

121 Messages

11 years ago

The Terms & Conditions that you signed up for do state that if you have a smartphone, AT&T can and will add a data plan.

Wireless Customer Agreement / Terms & Conditions -

6.3     What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements?
A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

If you don't want a data plan, it's simple: get a non smartphone. Either by purchasing one outright, using your upgrade or get a cheap gophone and use it on your account. Smiley Wink

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I can see requiring a data plan if you use it, but to require a data plan on a phone that is not using data, but capaible of using data is just another way to take more money for a serviice that is not requested.  I have done some research about this issue and found that I am not alone.  I am filling a complaint against against ATT with the FCC and BBB.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@dbellnier wrote:

I can see requiring a data plan if you use it, but to require a data plan on a phone that is not using data, but capaible of using data is just another way to such more money for a serviice that is not requested.  I have done some research about this issue and found that I am not alone.  I am filling a complaint against against ATT with the FCC and BBB.

might as well add verizon, sprint, to your complaint, all of the.m require a data plan on a smartphone. The binding terms satate that all smartphones require a data plan, been like that your years.

You can pick up a 49.00 att gophone and use that in place of the iphone - i know that works, my mother-in-law dropped her prone in a porta-potty just the other day

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

11 years ago

Data Plans are required on all smart phones in order for them to function properly and as stated, it's in the terms of service that you agree to.  I'm not trying to be rude or anything so please don't be offended, but you should have known this already by signing your contract with us.  If you would like, please contact us by dialing the number in my signature below.  Thanks for your time. 🙂

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Data Plans are NOT required on smart phones to function properly.  Get your technical facts straight.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@dbellnier wrote:

Data Plans are NOT required on smart phones to function properly.  Get your technical facts straight.

The technical facts are a non-issue - the binding terms of service and fair use policy specificly state that a data plan is required, you you add a device that requires one and there is not one present, one will be added to the account to bring it inline with the binding agreements. Donlt want a data plan, they switch out the smartphone

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

11 years ago

@dbellnier wrote:

I recently upgraded from a HTC Aria to a HTC Vivid.  I had no problems with upgrading.  My wife was having issues with her Pantec phone she upgraded several months ago, so I removed her sim card and installed it in my old HTC Aria, and turn off the data access.  Everything worked perfectly and she was very happy.

A few days later, she received a text message that a data plan has been added to her phone...  What?  Were on a fixed income and this is a big issue for us.

I called ATT customer support and told them what had happened and they stated that all smart phones require a data plan.  The fact is that a smart phone DOES NOT require a data plan to work property, this is not a technical issue with the phone, but an ATT policy issue and it sucks.

I will no longer stand behind ATT as I have for so many years.

All carriers require a data plan to go with the use of a smartphone. If you don't need a data plan then use a non smartphone.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

A great solution for your problem here would be to sign up for a Mobile Share rate plan.

It offers unlimited talk and text messaging and a shared bucket of data between all lines on the account.

But the great part about it is that you can manage your account online right here and it'll show all your devices that are connected to the Mobile Share, and you can turn off data usage for any line on the account that you don't want to use the cellular data for that month.

The downside is that you pretty much have to do this every month as it'll reset with your billing cycle. But you can easily turn that inconvenience into a normal part of your day as you go online to pay your bill for the month, at the same time you can just click a button and remove that line from being able to use Data.

Kill two birds with one stone, sign up for the lowest Mobile Share plan available, and you might even be able to save some money in the long run. Don't quote me on that, but hey, it's better than being slapped with a $20 dollar data plan every month against your will due to ATT's contractual obligations.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'd think the term and conditions is only applicable if you are signing the 2-years term contract, and to upgrade with a new devices.

But If I bought a smartphone myself, and contract is end. I basically is not under the obiligation with ATT , since I do not owe ATT for the device. I SHOULD NOT BE CHARGE for the data plan, whether or not ATT system can determind my phone is smartphone.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, that is not the case. It is AT&T's system and if you want to use it, you must abide by AT&T's rules. Your only other choice is to go to pay as you go. Then a data plan is not required. On normal plans, if you have a smartphone, a data plan is required if you want to use AT&T's service. Those are the rules and at the present time, there is nothing you can do about their rules.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.