For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
steranko's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, January 6th, 2017 4:30 PM

Device Unlock Portal failed

In 2013 I paid full price for a Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-i727) phone, and selected a monthly plan, at an AT&T store.  Less then a year later I changed to GoPhone pre-paid service. I was assured that the phone was mine without any encumbrance.  I used GoPhone for a couple of years.  A few months ago I switched to a different carrier.  I just gave that phone to a friend.  She went to use it with t-Mobile and found it was locked.  She visited a store, but they said they could not help her.  They suggested she use the ATT.com/deviceunlock website.  But when we tried the website we got "Your data cannot be validated by the system."  We tried getting through to customer service, but was blocked because the phone is no longer an active phone.  

My friend wants to file a complaint with the FTC.  But I convinced her to let me try to communicate with this forum before she takes that step.  I see her point.  Someone that outright owns a phone and owes nothing to any service provider should have easy access to an unlock code.  How should I proceed?  THANK YOU!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

Apply for the unlock as a non-customer.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

When I applied for the unlock code on the website I got the same response
as a non-customer vs. as a customer. *"**Your data cannot be validated by
the system."*

Any other suggestions as to how to get the unlock code would be
appreciated. TY!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Same here! I dont know whats wrong witht it!!! ugh!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Send a request with the message the portal did not work, to @ATTMobilityCare.  

Its a fairly old phone, so just have been removed from the computer system.   

@steranko  For your friends information.... ATT and other carriers voluntarily unlock any eligible phone that they can.   There is no requirement that they unlock phones if they cannot do so.  If a carrier is unable to get the code, you can look elsewhere.  There is nothing preventing consumers from unlocking their phones once eligible.  

The unlock codes come from the manufacturer.   In this case Samsung, but Samsung will not release it to consumers directly. (Otherwise they would give it to ATT for you). 

Manufacturers keep codes for supported devices.  When a device is old, there is always a chance the manufacturer no longer supports it, and has no unlock code.  This happens more often with tablets, but the Amazon fire phone, which is only 3 years old, flopped, and Amazon dumped the codes.   

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

TY lizdance40. I ended up buying an unlock code on eBay. It worked 1st
try.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@steranko

Excellent!   To bad about paying for it, but the job is done.  Kudos for being resourceful.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I ended up buying an unlock code off eBay for $1.00. Be careful, too many
failed attempts permanently lock it!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Well that's a bargain.  Yes, depending on the device anywhere between 5 and 10 tries are all you get.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.