Need help understanding your bill?
StephanieDay's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, December 16th, 2017 4:06 AM

Deciding not to return old phone following NEXT upgrade

I'm getting mixed answers from AT&T and was wondering if anyone here has encountered this... I am on the Next plan and, after 24 months of paying on my 6S, I upgraded to the X. I was told I HAD to return the old phone or would be charged the ENTIRE full retail price of the 6S, despite having made installment payments for 24 months. So I said I would return it. Then I decided this makes no sense, and I should be able to pay off the balance on the 6S installments, which is $113, and keep the 6S. Both phone customer service and the in-store account rep said again that no, I have to pay the FULL retail, despite the device being almost paid off. But tonight I got a text telling me to return the 6S or I would be charged the $113. If it makes any difference, I'm on a business account, but the payments have been made every month. This is a purchase, not a lease, correct? Why was I told twice by 2 different people that I would have to pay the full retail cost and not the remaining $113? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

You are right, they are wrong.  Keep the phone.  

You can verify with the information here. https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1106686

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

This is another case of employees not knowing the policies and procedures of their employer. Shocked and forwarding to community manager.  They may want to contact you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you! This has been going on all week, and tomorrow is my 10-day deadline, according to the trade in paperwork. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

The Non return bill of $113 kind of proves you right....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I paid the amount to upgrade my phone and received my new phone. I have since decided I would like to keep the old phone also. If I don’t return the old phone will I be billed only the difference between upgrading & paying old phone in full?  For example: amount to upgrade $700; amount to pay in full $900. I paid $700, received new phone. If I keep old phone will I only be billed the additional $200?  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I ended up receiving a bill for the difference between the original price of the old phone ($1200)  and the amount I had paid towards that $1200 over the course of the payment plan. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@trphme47 wrote:

I paid the amount to upgrade my phone and received my new phone. I have since decided I would like to keep the old phone also. If I don’t return the old phone will I be billed only the difference between upgrading & paying old phone in full?  For example: amount to upgrade $700; amount to pay in full $900. I paid $700, received new phone. If I keep old phone will I only be billed the additional $200?  

No.  You are billed for what you owed on the phone, which was published on your previous bills.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@StephanieDay wrote:

I ended up receiving a bill for the difference between the original price of the old phone ($1200)  and the amount I had paid towards that $1200 over the course of the payment plan. 

Your balance of installments is published on your bill each month, like the picture below.  Each month your bill includes another installment payment.  The balance published on your bill is all you owe.

image.jpeg

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.