For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
XDarkFenixX's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, May 19th, 2017 12:13 AM

Deceased account holder and ETFS

So my father, who is the account holder, passed away. We wanted to port his number to google voice but we would be charged the ETF apparently. Yet we can close the whole account without ETFs and lose the lines. Is there any possible way to not pay the ETF and port the line or a way to just remove the contract? It's almost as if they just want to lose us as customers. This is wildly annoying and a bad customer retention strategy.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@XDarkFenixX wrote:
So my father, who is the account holder, passed away. We wanted to port his number to google voice but we would be charged the ETF apparently. Yet we can close the whole account without ETFs and lose the lines. Is there any possible way to not pay the ETF and port the line or a way to just remove the contract? It's almost as if they just want to lose us as customers. This is wildly annoying and a bad customer retention strategy.

@XDarkFenixX Sorry for your loss.

I think the thought process is if they aren't going to use the line any more and passed away, they'll eat the cost.

If YOU want to keep the number and continue to use it, they aren't going to do that.  If someone needs to use it, maybe it's not the father's line, maybe it's just in their name and this would get you out of the contract, but if you want the number...

Or who knows what process they've seen for others to scam them, people want to get out of contracts all the time.

You've got to be pretty close to the end of that contract if you have actual ETFs.

What happens if you just port the number out...???

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

The contract ends January 1st I believe. If I just port out I'm apparently responsible for about a $110 ETF. My mother wants the number for sentimental reasons. But with the way att has handled this so far I have half the mind to just cancel everything and never return.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@XDarkFenixX   I'm so sorry for your loss.

The entire account can be transferred into another persons name.  

Here's the wrinkle with ATT forgiving the ETF verses, you having the estate pay it off, you pick, but you should know the options.

If you cancel dad's line and have ATT waive the ETF on the phone, the phone will forever be locked to ATT.  

On the other hand if you have the estate pay off the ETF, then the phone can be unlocked and sold if you want.   If it doesn't matter, ski them to waive the charge. 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1113355

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@XDarkFenixX wrote:
The contract ends January 1st I believe. If I just port out I'm apparently responsible for about a $110 ETF. My mother wants the number for sentimental reasons. But with the way att has handled this so far I have half the mind to just cancel everything and never return.

I don't really think they're handling it that badly. If you want to wash your hands of it, they'll cancel it. Which is really more than fair, they are actually owed that money, correct?

If you don't want to go the easy route, the won't waive the fee. I understand that you're not happy with that answer, but it's not unreasonable. You want to waive the costs and you want to keep the number...

You can just pay the $110 and sell the phone, it'll worth it, if it's an 18 month old iPhone, you'll likely make out on it.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@XDarkFenixX wrote:

You have my sympathy as well. I think the bolded part emphasizes why AT&T won't waive the ETF: Your mother wants the line, so it's not really your father's number.

Is there a reason this decision has to be made now and can't wait until January? Is the ETF the less expensive option?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.