Need help understanding your bill?
Kris0816's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 29th, 2018 8:33 AM

Data usage

Why is it that 9-10 hours after I turn off my data do I get a message that I went over my usage? At 8:12 am yesterday it said I was at 75% of usage. I did NOT receive a text saying I was at 90%, which I usually receive. I saw my data was still on around maybe 5 pm, not sure I was at work, it could've been before 5pm. So I turned it off again. And at 3:08 am I get a text saying $15 is being added to my bill and my data has not been on since MAYBE 5 pm. What is going on here? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

Data reporting is not real-time. It can take up to 3 days for data usage to get reported. In your case it would appear the data you used between the time you got the 75% text and when you turned data off all got reported at once and put you over. You are on an old plan. Current plans don’t have data overage charges. You can avoid those overage charges by switching to a current plan. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

5 years ago

@Kris0816

If you watch the meter on your device you are less likely to go over.  If you rely on ATT totals you have to remember they are 3 hours to 3 days behind your phone.  

On the other hand your phone records it’s use independantly and live.  iPhones need to be reset with your bill cycle. Androids can be set once to keep records for you each month.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.