For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Lanaowens0's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 1st, 2016 3:12 PM

Data overages

Is there any way to just turn data off when it gets all used up to keep from getting charged overage fees

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, you can go on your online account and turn off data. It will automatically turn on at the beginning of the new billing cycle.

No all data is recorded in real time, so you may want to turn off data before you reach 100%.

Or you can change to the new Mobile share data plans. They throttle your data when you reach 100% and will not charge overages.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Hello,

I've tried all of these things and my wife and I still are mysteriously going over 10GB per month when we both have access to WIFI at work and at Home.

AT&T had me do a "Data Test" - where I did a "RESET STATISTICS" on my Iphone 6 and they noted my account. They called me back a week later and asked for my info, but I demanded to hear what they had for my data consumption.  Guess what?  In a 5-6 day period they had 50MB more on my bill than my phone had!  They had me a little over 1GB and I had around 950MB.  They had no idea what to say when I asked them if they understood that they are stealing from me.  I still haven't gotten a call back from a manager.  I will be switching to Sprint/T-Mobile - the service/coverage might not be as good, but at least they won't steal from me.

Joe

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@jwkali wrote:

my wife and I still are mysteriously going over 10GB per month when we both have access to WIFI at work and at Home.

Let's be clear,  you are going 10GB over OR you are going over your 10GB plan??

One way could be 100MB of mysterious data and the other is 10GB of mysterious data.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@jwkali wrote:

AT&T had me do a "Data Test" - where I did a "RESET STATISTICS" on my Iphone 6 and they noted my account. They called me back a week later and asked for my info, but I demanded to hear what they had for my data consumption.  Guess what?  In a 5-6 day period they had 50MB more on my bill than my phone had!  They had me a little over 1GB and I had around 950MB. 

50MB out of 1000MB (1GB). That's pretty small...

(Listen to the rest of what I say before you respond to that!)

Keep in mind, when you reset your number, that 50 MB might not have been reported to AT&T yet. It's like calling the bank and asking for your balanc, and thenyou spend $950 and the bank says you spent $1000 (they stole $50!!!!).   BUT you might have had a $50 check out there that hadn't cleared yet so they didn't include that; just like that $50, you might have had 50MB that hadn't been sent to AT&T yet.

I reset my data monthly in the morning so hopefully most data has reported by then (since I'd been on WiFi all night), however there is always the chance that will be reported even later. Honestly, for me, I think AT&T's numbers are usually right on (or even a few percent under) what I get when I reset (but then again, the data my phone reported might not have gotten reported to AT&T yet).

I'm not keeping track because I worry about AT&T, I keep track because I want to see which programs use what...  

I'm MUCH more worried about some program weirdly using an extra 248 MB than AT&T taking it from me.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Over the last 3 months the data usage on my phone has tripled. I used 758mb in September to have it go to 1.5g in October, to 2.13g in November to 4g in December. I do not use my phone any more then I have in the past months but as of today my plan reset for the month and I used 1.07g in one day. Is there a setting that I need to clear?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.