For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Karaschnee's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, December 16th, 2015 3:11 AM

Data overage cost

What is the cost of any data overages?

Thank you.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

NO cake desired. What was wanted by many of us was transparency and honesty when the phones & plans were sold; and at least when contacting the company.

As others have also experienced, information and confimration received by visiting community forums [there are others besides this one - which we realize is On the company site] any information about data use may not become available until after we are Asleep. By the time data can be checked via any app or text, the charge has already occurred. That is the objection and Problem here.

Any airing of complaints is to vent/purge the frustration; finding that confirmantion and information is the bonus.

thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@COMPANYGREEDwrote:

any information about data use may not become available until after we are Asleep. By the time data can be checked via any app or text, the charge has already occurred. That is the objection and Problem here.

If you look in your phone settings, it's quite accurate and updated the instant your phone uses the data.  

Forget the asleep part, that's for AT&T notifications if you were not paying attention.

If you look at your data in your settings you should be pretty good.  

If you have a phone that doesn't reset the counter on the billing cycle, then set a monthly reminder to do it yourself (it's no good if it's not measuring the precise cycle).

My number always appear to be within a percent or three (usually to my benefit).   

It's possibly some conversion of MB->GB too, 1000MB <> 1GB it's 1024MB= 1GB, the difference is so low that I don't worry about it. (sometimes I don't get the monthly reset right away either).

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks. Moving forward, I, like others here have discovered, will be monitoring my data use, including when connected to wifi.  The "while Asleep" problem was a problem, and frustration expressed, by the posters of the issue/those originally experiencing the problem. Of course, thanks!

moving forward....

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

I have a sample of the delay.  See the actual data use from using data on the Direct Now App I used on my iPad and what data ATT has recorded.  As you can see my iPad shows data that ATT has not yet reported on the website

IMG_5117.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG

2 Attachments

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

great resources. would be fantastic if the company reps / employees had and shared this information with cutomers.

*sigh* would be wonderful if they were as invested as you are in sharing this information. lets pass it on!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@COMPANYGREED

110% agreed.   This and a few thousand other bits of information.  That's why these forums exist, to fill in information.  

Truth is, I have explained how data works to cell employees.  They have to know products and policies (and don't always), but how data works is beyond the typical scope.  

If you ask tech support, you will get at best an incomplete answer.  I've spent 5 years, ever since my kids got smartphones, learning about data.  Some months we learned the hard way.  

I refuse to stress about it anymore.  I make everyone buy their phones, I buy the data plan.  I got one kid who uses 9-11 gigs a month.  I don't care, let him, he has a job and pays his Share.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.