Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Data charge for international data usage not explained

Highlighted

Data charge for international data usage not explained

I shut off roaming, I hooked up to the hotel internet, and I got charge for a ton of data usage.  I don't know what I did wrong. 

Might someone explain.  I emailed ATT and an agent and I are playing phone tag (been hectic at my home with the newly installed, not working direct tv/internet package)  If agent CH***** reads this, you can answer me via private message.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Data charge for international data usage not explained

Pretty safe to say you didn't really shut off roaming. The safest thing is to put the phone in airplane mode. Next would be to shut off cellular data or cellular data roaming if your phone has such a switch. Your phone may have a record of "roaming data", so you can see if the phone itself also recorded the usage.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Sage

Did you have a roaming package while traveling?

Since you don't have home internet working, is it your use back in the US that put you over?

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8

Was only to Canada from the USA for two days.  The ROAMING was TOTALLY international.  Not worth buying a package for a weekend trip, BUT I found that "WIFI ASSIST" was on (By default thanks to my latest software upgrade), I read that with WIFI assist "ON" all my apps and email are "fetching" data!  UGH!!  Airplane Mode with WIFI ASSIST "off" is going to keep me in good shape data wise during the next trip!

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Sage

The cost for roaming data without a roaming package is HUGE. $2.05 per MB in Canada.
Some information for the next trip....
https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/canada.html
(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 8
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by KathleenJordan
‎02-06-2017 6:17 PM

I consider myself pretty savoy. My wife recently traveled to Australia with our grandson. I told her to keep the phone in airplane mode. When she landed in New Zealand, our grandson asked to play some games on the phone while at the airport. Before she knew it, she had racked up over $300 for a mere 155MB of data. She shut it off the rest of the trip.

I got a text about her data usage and called customer service. I added an international plan and backdated it, which reduced our bill from $300 to $60. More than I cared to pay, but still a $240 savings. If your billing cycle hasn't ended yet, it is something to consider.

BTW, you may be elegible for the free Canadian roaming plan, depending on what service/data plan you now have. Call the retentions department and ask.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
Tags (1)
Message 6 of 8

Thank you.  The Canadian plan is a great idea!

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

@KathleenJordan wrote:

Thank you.  The Canadian plan is a great idea!

Be super nice when you call as they are not required to offer it, they seem to give it out pretty freely. If they don't know what you are talking about, just hang up and call back.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support