For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
LabLvr's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, October 27th, 2015 2:20 PM

Data Plan Overages?

What exactly are the correct settings for the iphone6 so that the least amount of data will be used?

I recently started to try and use icloud, but in the settings I turned everything off except for the find my iphone  - could that use data?

I finally found a plan I can afford but now bill gets jacked up due to "overage" on data.

Wifi setting is always ON

I do not use Bluetooth

Cellular Data is ON so I can use Find Iphone, google maps, safari, weather, wallet

Data Roaming is OFF unless I cannot use google maps

Personal Hotspot is OFF

WiFi Assist is ON

ALL my notifications are turned OFF (which I hate)

Background App refresh is OFF

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

Turn wifi assist OFF.  Now google what it is and does, hint you will find a 5 million dollar lawsuit from a Florida couple.

Turn cellular data off for iCloud, App Store and pretty much all else you can live without.  Don't stream music and don't use iMessage.  iMessage uses data.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@LabLvr wrote:

What exactly are the correct settings for the iphone6 so that the least amount of data will be used?

I recently started to try and use icloud, but in the settings I turned everything off except for the find my iphone  - could that use data?

I finally found a plan I can afford but now bill gets jacked up due to "overage" on data.

Wifi setting is always ON

I do not use Bluetooth

Cellular Data is ON so I can use Find Iphone, google maps, safari, weather, wallet

Data Roaming is OFF unless I cannot use google maps

Personal Hotspot is OFF

WiFi Assist is ON

ALL my notifications are turned OFF (which I hate)

Background App refresh is OFF

Yes, find iPhone will use cellular data. Under settings/cellular, you can additionally set which apps are allowed to use cellular data and also see how much cellular data each app is using. You don't say how much data you have in your plan but google maps and safari could be using significant amounts of data. @lizdance40 is right about turning wifi assist off. What it does is tells the phone to use cellular data to "assist" even when connected to wifi.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you!

Can you please explain or tell me what "things" or settings use Data.

I would like to be able to have calendar and appt reminders but at this point I am not using any features, pointless to have this phone now.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

We already did.  In settings under cellular data is the list of applications that use data.  Turn switches off.

Honestly, I don't see the point of buying a $700 phone and then no data?

I insist all phones are purchased at full price, we save out money and buy from eBay.  This way we can spend money on a data plan and actually use our phones.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Fantastic!  I have turned cellular data OFF.

If things dont work, then I will turn it back on and only choose the one(s) I need at the moment.

Imessage is now OFF, and MMS is ON

Thank you so much!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

image.jpeg

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@LabLvr wrote:

Fantastic!  I have turned cellular data OFF.

If things dont work, then I will turn it back on and only choose the one(s) I need at the moment.

Imessage is now OFF, and MMS is ON

Thank you so much!

Just FYI, MMS will not work with cellular data turned off. MMS messages do not get charged as data (in other words, they don't use up data plan data) but they do require a cellular data connection to work. You also will not have access to visual voice mail with cellular data turned off.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

It was discovered that my device was defective and running data constantly. I have two friends a family member and former coworker with the same issue with IPhone 6 but getting someone to tell you this or refer you to Apple for warranty utilization is impossible and took months

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Wifi assist being off may not effect it. Mine was off and stayed off and my iPhone used data around the clock with nothing I could do to correct it. Apparently the IPhone 6s phone is bad to have defects. I'm from a small Arkansas town and 5 people have had the same problem!
My other phones have the exact settings (one a larger version of iPhone 6S) and yet one in particular consumed around the clock usage

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@ashelton  No need to post in multiple areas.  Your numbers don't add up to excess use.

Back to the drawing board.  Or I should say your previous bills to see actual data use on each line.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Data-overage/m-p/5058598#M112964

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.