Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Data Charges every 3 hours (12 - 3 - 6 - 9...) even when phone is off ???

Contributor

Data Charges every 3 hours (12 - 3 - 6 - 9...) even when phone is off ???

Noticed random data charges (INT/MD) beginning with the latest billing cycle (11/14/2014). Every 3 hours at exactly 12am, 3am, 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm (8x per day). Spoke with customer service, and was told that it is probably an app, etc... Turned off my phone, still get data charges when phone is OFF. Customer service suggested that I contact Apple, maybe a device issue? (when the phone is off?)

I have 4 phones on my plan - An Iphone 4, and 3 Iphone 5's. All have these charges, all phones are in different parts of the US. My brother (different account) with Iphone 6 has the same charges, at the exact same times? Looked through previous bills, could not find any charges at these precise times. So, 5 phones all with different configurations, apps and geographic locations all using random amounts of data at precisely the same times. So far in 3 days the INT/MD charges at these precise times are 344mb for the 4 phones in my account out of a total of 343.984mb TOTAL used. At this rate, I will end up with 3.44gb in a 30 day billing cycle - that I did not use - remember, some of these charges occurred when the phones were OFF.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 305
Professor

Re: Data Charges every 3 hours (12 - 3 - 6 - 9...) even when phone is off ???

@pgrey, I do believe by installing a mobile config profile, some third party apps do allow for tracking of data use. I believe I used to have one, but for these purposes, I think the built-in one should work fine.

Justin

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
Message 166 of 305
Tutor

No... Sorry.. Setting - Cellular only allows a user to turn Cellualr data on/off for each app. It doesn't show usage. I have the latest iOS, 9.3.5...
Message 167 of 305
Tutor

Unless it's the number below some of the apps... If that's the case, my issue definitely wasn't caused by he apps then because only 5 apps have numbers shown and they are minimal (highest is 2MB)
Message 168 of 305
Tutor

Ugh just remember I reset the statistics.. That's why there are not many numbers showing. Need to go to bed. 😀 Now I have the tools and know how to use them. I will monitor the usage closely and will report back if there is any anomaly.

Thanks all!
Message 169 of 305
ACE - Professor

@jt212s Thanks for the clarification, gives me some reading to do, I could stand to learn a lot about iOS ;-]

@Pbjjjb Good deal, at least on finding the right tool and figuring it out.  Bummer on the reset, but at least now you'll have a way to track it, and you're starting from a very-known-quantity, not exactly a terrible scenario, all things considered.

Please let us know what you find out, we're seeing more of this reported, maybe an article is in order, or similar, once we have more data.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 170 of 305
Tutor

A quick update/question:

I turned off cellular/mobile data last night on my phone, so there should be no cellular/mobile data used by any app.  However, this morning I saw on the app "My Data Manager" that there were some cellular/mobile data activities at 3am, 6am, and 9am..  I checked the app list under cellular data section of my iPhone, and the numbers did not change.  I concluded that the cellular/mobile data activities were not from the apps.

I chatted with ATT online support and was told that ATT collects data from my phone through cellular/mobile data every 3 hours throughout the day.  If that is true, I am not sure, why it would use my paid data to do it?  The usage may look minimal at first, but every 3 hours everyday through the billing period can add up.  

If that is not it, and my apps were not using cellular/mobile data, any idea/suggestion on what else could be using my cellular/mobile data every 3 hours?

20160913-9am.jpg20160913-9am

Message 171 of 305
ACE - Professor

That's interesting, I thought AT&T was using tower/IMEI type tracking, to manage your data quotas, but I guess a "push model" from your device is a possibility...

I bet they tag this data, with a metadata tag, so that they don't use it against your quota.  They do this with some other data too, such as the "Mark the Spot" app.

It's within privacy constraints for them to exlude their data, but not to track your data, that's where things get really sketchy.

I bet if you log into AT&T, once the data reporting DB comes back up, you won't have any actual usage, at the 3/6/9 markers.

I do typically have *some* usage at these though, since I have my email on 1 hour "push" settings, and if I forget to turn my WiFi on when returning home, or am away, I get 3 hour "compilations" of whatever push data I have enabled.

I have had my data disabled before, when traveling, and also I notice my daughter, who turns hers off during the data, also doesn't get any data charges, during those 3 hour blocks, so it is possible to have non-charged blocks.

Take a look at your account online, hopefully soon, and see if you have any data charges for those timeframes (I wouldn't expect it).

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, it's interesting that the data is "roaming" too, which could mean you have "accept texts while roaming" enabled on your device (I do, since most places I would roam I still get free texts).  While this uses data, it's not charged to your data quota, but the phone app doesn't know the difference, when you're looking at overall data usage.  If you look per-app though, you'd see where it's going...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 172 of 305
ACE - Professor

Edit, removed, sorry, I cross-posted in replying to a similar issue...

Message 173 of 305
ACE - Professor

@Jester2112 wrote:

UPDATE:

One day later and we're back where we started from!  I have screenshots from both days but AT&T won't take responsibility.

Why is it that I am being hit for over 400MB when the numbers clearly showed I only used 164.5?

@Jester2112 If those numbers above are from your online view, then they add up to the 150-170MB mark, which is where you're saying your phone is pegging things at, as well?

Just sayin', that sure looks like it's inline with what you are saying you actually used, for those days, unless I'm missing something?

Message 174 of 305
ACE - Sage

@Pbjjjb

Wow you were up late.

@Pbjjjb wrote:

A quick update/question:

I turned off cellular/mobile data last night on my phone, so there should be no cellular/mobile data used by any app.  However, this morning I saw on the app "My Data Manager" that there were some cellular/mobile data activities at 3am, 6am, and 9am..  I checked the app list under cellular data section of my iPhone, and the numbers did not change.  I concluded that the cellular/mobile data activities were not from the apps.

I chatted with ATT online support and was told that ATT collects data from my phone through cellular/mobile data every 3 hours throughout the day.  If that is true, I am not sure, why it would use my paid data to do it?  The usage may look minimal at first, but every 3 hours everyday through the billing period can add up.  

If that is not it, and my apps were not using cellular/mobile data, any idea/suggestion on what else could be using my cellular/mobile data every 3 hours?

20160913-9am.jpg20160913-9am

To answer your question about the reported data every 3 hours, what support neglected not tell you is the data we use during the day is delayed several hours, and doesn't report back to ATT from towers for several hours.  Typically the data then is batch reported at 3 to 6 hour intervals, during off peak hours.

I compare it to writing a check.  You spend the money during the day, but your checking account isn't reduced until the check clears overnight.

With the new plan, I suspect we will see a change in speeding data reporting, less delay.  A post yesterday from a fellow customer with a 3 gig plan on the new Advantage plan, ran over  by almost half a gig.  No charge.  Reducing the delay in reporting should help those on older plans too.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 175 of 305
ACE - Professor

@Jester2112 wrote:

Started researching this "every three hours deal" just a few days ago.  All of the sudden, as of today (6/3/2015) the charges have all reverted to random times throughout the day (including the reporting period I ran yesterday which still shows the 12/3/6/9 data!).  

Check this out:

Report run date June 2 at 1:27PM CST (409 MB)

Date Time Contact Usage Type Provider Name Usage Charges($)
28-May 12:00 PM   Web   3353.0 KB $0.00
28-May 9:00 AM   Web   245.22 MB $0.00
28-May 6:00 AM   Web   40733.0 KB $0.00
28-May 3:00 AM   Web   1008.0 KB $0.00
28-May 12:00 AM   Web   27461.0 KB $0.00
27-May 9:00 PM   Web   98.69 MB $0.00

Report run date June 3 at 4:34PM CST (164.5 MB)

Date Time Contact Usage Type Provider Name Usage Charges($)
28-May 8:32 AM   Web   19960.0 KB $0.00
28-May 8:13 AM   Web   125.0 KB $0.00
28-May 6:42 AM   Web   18586.0 KB $0.00
28-May 1:20 AM   Web   21006.0 KB $0.00
28-May 12:24 AM   Web   7433.0 KB $0.00
27-May 11:45 PM   Web   38990.0 KB $0.00
27-May 10:28 PM   Web   23335.0 KB $1.00
27-May 10:09 PM   Web   39030.0 KB $2.00

I am now more convinced that AT&T is wise to our suspicions and trying to worm its way out of a class-action suit against all of the exess data they are charging us!

@Jester2112 If those numbers above are from your online view, then they add up to the 150-170MB mark, which is where you're saying your phone is pegging things at, as well?

Just sayin', that sure looks like it's inline with what you are saying you actually used, for those days, unless I'm missing something?

Message 176 of 305
ACE - Professor

@Jester2112 wrote:

UPDATE:

One day later and we're back where we started from!  I have screenshots from both days but AT&T won't take responsibility.

Why is it that I am being hit for over 400MB when the numbers clearly showed I only used 164.5?

Message 177 of 305
Highlighted
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎09-14-2016 3:33 PM

AT&T often posts your data use from the previous days use in batches, often at 3 hour intervals, as noted on our bills.  Because of the delay, the data is often posted when we are home on wifi or the phone is off.

image.jpeg

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Tags (1)
Message 178 of 305
Mentor

Where do you get the app by app actual cellualar data info, i see the settings, cellular info, but i dont see the app by app cell data info...

thanks

Message 179 of 305
Mentor

I agree with this post(#167), no specific app cell usage info, only the ability to toggle on or off

Message 180 of 305
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support