Need help understanding your bill?
gyr114's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 1:32 AM

Changing the primary account for fmaily plan or new contract?

Hello, here are my questions:

My friends and I are under one family plan, and currently my friend A is the account holder. When signing the contract, all five of us paid 500 dollars deposit and have gotten it back. However, friend A is going to change to another wireless service. I found out the way to change the account holder is via requesting Transfer billing responsibility. Our contract is a two-year contract and ends on this September.

1. Friend A is ok with waiting till the contract ends and then change to another wireless service. Will the other four of us be signing a new contract with one of us being the account holder? If so, do we need to pay the 500 deposit again? Will we be able to keep the same plan?

2. If we request transfer billing responsibility now, does it make any differences?

Thank you so much!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@gyr114 wrote:

Hello, here are my questions:

My friends and I are under one family plan, and currently my friend A is the account holder. When signing the contract, all five of us paid 500 dollars deposit and have gotten it back. However, friend A is going to change to another wireless service. I found out the way to change the account holder is via requesting Transfer billing responsibility. Our contract is a two-year contract and ends on this September.

1. Friend A is ok with waiting till the contract ends and then change to another wireless service. Will the other four of us be signing a new contract with one of us being the account holder? If so, do we need to pay the 500 deposit again? Will we be able to keep the same plan?

2. If we request transfer billing responsibility now, does it make any differences?

Thank you so much!!!

Whoever is going to be the primary account needs to do the transfer and it can be done now.  Person a can then drop once their contract is over.  As for the rest of you, you do not need to sign a new contract nor provide a new deposit.  The next time each of you buys a new phone at a discount is when you would then need to extend your contract and should not need a deposit.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks so much!

Just to make sure,

The transfer need to be done is requesting transfer billing responsibility, and it can be done online.

Friend A can drop when the contract ends, does he need to go the ATT store or this can be done online too?

If I understand correctly, after the contract ends in September, there is no need to make any moves to extend the contract? The contract will automatically be extended?

If any of us gets a new phone next time, only “the account holder to be" need to extend the contract ?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@gyr114 wrote:

Thanks so much!

Just to make sure,

The transfer need to be done is requesting transfer billing responsibility, and it can be done online.

Friend A can drop when the contract ends, does he need to go the ATT store or this can be done online too?

If I understand correctly, after the contract ends in September, there is no need to make any moves to extend the contract? The contract will automatically be extended?

If any of us gets a new phone next time, only “the account holder to be" need to extend the contract ?

Thanks!!!!!!!

I think he can drop online and/or when he goes to a new carrier and transfers their number, that will term the contract.  as for the account holder to be extending the contract, that is not necessary.  The terms continue and you only enter a contract when you get a new phone at a discounted price.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I also have this question. I am going to another provider and my mom wants to keep the account. She was grandfathered in  on the unlimited data and doesn't want to lose that. If I transfer owership to her will that be affected? Also will they require a credit check?

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@destiny101 wrote:

I also have this question. I am going to another provider and my mom wants to keep the account. She was grandfathered in  on the unlimited data and doesn't want to lose that. If I transfer owership to her will that be affected? Also will they require a credit check?

Thanks

Yes, she will lose the unlimited data plan.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks that just confirms that all 5 lines will be moved to Verizon.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.