Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Changed my plan without consent

Contributor

Changed my plan without consent

I had a 6gb plan.. month or so after I started auto pay I notice an increase in my payment. long story they say it was upgraded and I spoke to a Robert and his supervisor Aria (id # at373j). I told them I never consented to change my plan and I was happy and want my original plan. initially they tried to make it sounds like a good thing with increase in date unlimited calls to Mexico etc. problem is on average I was using 3-4 GB per month when I had 6gb in the plan. And I don't have anyone in Mexico to talk unlimited. after almost an hour on the phone getting the run around I was getting bit irritated at the ridiculousness of it and their solution was either I keep the plan and pay the higher price or I go down to 5gb plan but instead of the $65 I was paying, I pay $86 for 5gb. According to aria this is what att call grandfathering. when I asked for the cintact information for the legal department she told me 1st they didn't have one then, only lawyers can contact the legal dept. How is it that what st doing is legal?????

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎11-08-2019 10:50 AM

Re: Changed my plan without consent

@annoyed12345 wrote:

I had a 6gb plan.. month or so after I started auto pay I notice an increase in my payment. long story they say it was upgraded and I spoke to a Robert and his supervisor Aria (id # at373j). I told them I never consented to change my plan and I was happy and want my original plan. initially they tried to make it sounds like a good thing with increase in date unlimited calls to Mexico etc. problem is on average I was using 3-4 GB per month when I had 6gb in the plan. And I don't have anyone in Mexico to talk unlimited. after almost an hour on the phone getting the run around I was getting bit irritated at the ridiculousness of it and their solution was either I keep the plan and pay the higher price or I go down to 5gb plan but instead of the $65 I was paying, I pay $86 for 5gb. According to aria this is what att call grandfathering. when I asked for the cintact information for the legal department she told me 1st they didn't have one then, only lawyers can contact the legal dept. How is it that what st doing is legal?????

AT&T has no obligation to keep plans and pricing the same. All Mobile Share Advantage plans increased in price recently; at the same time AT&T increased the data allowance. There is nothing illegal about doing either, whether you like it or not. Your options are to keep your plan, find a different plan, or leave AT&T altogether.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7
Contributor

If its not illegal to increase price without consent, why did ATT settle
with FCC just couple of years ago doing the same thing to customers back
then?

I would like to keep my same plan for the same price. But you are not
letting me. If not, other option is to leave ATT altogether. Because
clearly ATT don't care about the customers
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

@annoyed12345 There was no such FCC settlement. Read the wireless agreement, it states very clearly that ATT can change plans and prices at any time. Look at the Mobile Share Flex plans, you can get close to the same plan you had for possibly less than you were paying. We are customers like you, we are not preventing you from keeping your plan.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
ACE - Sage

😂.  I love it when people make stuff up that never happened.  

@annoyed12345

The Flex plan works out about $5-$10 cheaper for most.  

Carriers dropped contracts 4 years ago for exactly this reason.  The only obligation customers have is to pay for phones and current months bill.  Carriers can change prices, plans and features.

Verizon increased its grandfathered unlimited plan $20 per line in 2015 and allowed use of installments to buy phones. ATT increased its legacy plan $5 per line in 2015, 2016 and 2017 and changed from throttling at 5 gigs to reprioritized at 22 gigs.   

While this change is unprecedented, it’s completely within ATT’s right.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 7
Contributor

I am sure I am making it up.. maybe you should learn who you work for
before making comments...
https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-to-pay-feds-700000-to-settle-overcharging-dispute/
Message 6 of 7
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎11-08-2019 11:33 AM

Not the same thing.  Those customers were forced onto different plans.  You weren’t.  

Your cost was increased on the existing plan.  Your data cap was also raised.  Both ATT and Verizon have raised prices and changed terms on grandfathered plans, notified customers, and it’s totally legitimate.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizons-grandfathered-unlimited-data-users-face-20-price-hike/

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-raises-price-of-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans-again/

Those were prepaid customers on talk and text, pay per use, forced onto data plans.   

BTW you can still use smartphones on prepaid without data on ATT.  Verizon does not permit smartphones on any plan without data.  ATT does not permit smartphones on postpaid plans without a data plan.  It’s in the postpaid terms of service that ATT can move customers to valid plans.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Tags (1)
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support