Need help understanding your bill?
sponkshe's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 2nd, 2013 6:18 AM

Cannot upgrade to HTC one using new AT&T trade-in offer

Hi,

I was so excited to see AT&T announcing special offer to get new smartphone by trading in old smart phone.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24128&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36372&mapcode=

I walked into a company owned AT&T retail store today (May 1, 2013) at 16496 Beach Blvd, WestminsterCA 92683

I currently have Samsung Galaxy S2 (I777) which I upgraded in September 2011,so I wanted to trade that in to get new HTC one 4G. Since I am eligible for an upgrade, HTC one is priced at $199 with 2 year contract. The trade-in value of Galaxy S2 came out to be $100. So ideally I thought I am supposed get to HTC one for $99. That is exactly what announcement says.

But reality was vastly different. Store representatives told me that value of the trade-in cannot be used towards HTC one upgrade. Instead they can give me a store credit which can be used ONLY for buying accessories. It cannot even be applied to my monthly wireless charges. That means I have to pay $199 for HTC one and I get $100 to buy worthless accessories.

This is utterly ridicoulous. Store representatives told that they had tried applying the trade-in store credit to upgrade to newer smartphones for other customers through out the day and it didn't work. What I don't understand is how can a widely publisized offer like this can not really be supported at AT & T stores.

After being a loyal AT&T customer for over four years now, I am extremely disappointed and frustrated by today's experience. All I want to say is if AT&T cannot ensure to make offers available,it should not advertize them.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

Welcome to the Community @sponkshe, and thank you for your post.  I'm sorry your transaction did not go as it should have. 

The offer details are:

For a limited time, trade in an existing smartphone and receive instant credit (minimum $100 value) towards a new device, or receive an AT&T Promotion Card once the trade-in is received.

Requirements:

• The trade-in must be a smartphone that was purchased by the customer within the last three years.
  • The smartphone trade-in must be in good working and physical condition to be eligible for the minimum $100 value

We welcome the opportunity to correct this for you. Can you please send me a Private Message (blue envelope, top right) with your full name, contact phone number and account number? We will get this resolved for you.

Thanks again for posting, and giving us the opportunity to rectify the situation.

ATTJulieCS

Julie Rae

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sponkshe wrote:

Hi,

I was so excited to see AT&T announcing special offer to get new smartphone by trading in old smart phone.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24128&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=36372&mapcode=

I walked into a company owned AT&T retail store today (May 1, 2013) at 16496 Beach Blvd, WestminsterCA 92683

I currently have Samsung Galaxy S2 (I777) which I upgraded in September 2011,so I wanted to trade that in to get new HTC one 4G. Since I am eligible for an upgrade, HTC one is priced at $199 with 2 year contract. The trade-in value of Galaxy S2 came out to be $100. So ideally I thought I am supposed get to HTC one for $99. That is exactly what announcement says.

But reality was vastly different. Store representatives told me that value of the trade-in cannot be used towards HTC one upgrade. Instead they can give me a store credit which can be used ONLY for buying accessories. It cannot even be applied to my monthly wireless charges. That means I have to pay $199 for HTC one and I get $100 to buy worthless accessories.

This is utterly ridicoulous. Store representatives told that they had tried applying the trade-in store credit to upgrade to newer smartphones for other customers through out the day and it didn't work. What I don't understand is how can a widely publisized offer like this can not really be supported at AT & T stores.

After being a loyal AT&T customer for over four years now, I am extremely disappointed and frustrated by today's experience. All I want to say is if AT&T cannot ensure to make offers available,it should not advertize them.

suspect there might be a miscommunication on the store side, if I recall correctly that was th old program, the new one just started on the 1st, the employees may have not been aware of it. Not defending the store personnel, if this is the true issue then the manager of the store dropped the ball in training his people and keeping them informed of the new programs. Might want to try a different store or print out the new program and the link and go back 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I had the exact same issue,  walked into the store at "Main Place" in Santa Ana CA as well as the one in Tustin Market Place in Tustin CA.

The representatives offered me $18.75 for my Samsung infuse that I bought less than 2 years ago from ATT.  The Infuse Model is only 2 1/2 years old as well.

The represantive also said that there were no issues with the phone's condition.   But the most they could credit would be $18.75 towards the purchase of a new Galaxy sIV with a 2yr. agreement.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Outsidergua wrote:

I had the exact same issue,  walked into the store at "Main Place" in Santa Ana CA as well as the one in Tustin Market Place in Tustin CA.

The representatives offered me $18.75 for my Samsung infuse that I bought less than 2 years ago from ATT.  The Infuse Model is only 2 1/2 years old as well.

The represantive also said that there were no issues with the phone's condition.   But the most they could credit would be $18.75 towards the purchase of a new Galaxy sIV with a 2yr. agreement.

Try another store.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

So you have to be eligible for an upgrade in order to get this deal? Am I correct?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Fearlessflyer3 wrote:

So you have to be eligible for an upgrade in order to get this deal? Am I correct?

pretty much so unless you want to pay full retail

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you're not upgrade eligible but still want to trade-in a device, you can use the gift card that you will receive to pay your phone bill.  That way, you can set aside the money that you would have used to pay your bill to save for when you are upgrade eligible.

Tutor

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

Yesterday, I visited my local AT&T Store and traded in my previous Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE phone for credit on my account. The trade in value was $77, but they rounded it up to $100. I think it was a promotion, since I noticed that the AT&T Trade-Up web site also showed $100 for my EVO phone. I also had two Verizon Palm Pre Smartphones (developer editions) which were a few years old gathering dust in my desk, so I checked the AT&T web site and sure enough they showed having a $100 trade in value for each one! So, I headed down to my local AT&T Store again and traded both phone in for additional store credit. As such, I now have $300 credit on my AT&T account.

If you have any old phones laying around that you want to trade in (and aren't too, too old), you can check the AT&T Trade-Up web site to determine their value. I think it is a limited time offer, so check soon, and good luck!

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

11 years ago

Yesterday I traded in a two year old iPhone 4s and got $200 towards a new 4s and AppleCare for my wife. I only had to pay $10 and change out of pocket for tax. The salesman told me they'll take any phone in good condition in trade, they just need to enter information about the phone to get the value.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I traded in my old Android phone (2 years old.. came available for upgrade earlier this month) on Saturday.  I was offered only $40 for it.  The reason.. I wanted an iPhone 5.  I was told that "your phone is only eligible for $40 toward the purchase of the iPhone 5, if you want to get a Galaxy S4 or other Android phone we would give you $100".  That's not how the offer is worded at all on any of the AT&T websites I've seen.  Not to mention that when I told the guy that was unfair, but to do it anyway because I was sick of Android (I switched to Android 2 years ago and have hated it ever since), I found out after paying almost $200 for the upgrade total that I was charged $20 as an "upgrade fee".  So they actually gave me $20 for my old phone. 

Don't get me wrong, I am so happy to be back on an iPhone that I really don't care so much at this point, but buyer beware, this deal isn't as sweet as it sounds.  I think some AT&T authorized retailers may (read: might.. I don't know this for sure) be taking advantage of some people.  After the upgrade I went home and called an AT&T store that was 50 miles away from me, asked them how much I would have got for my old phone and they swore it would be $100 toward an iPhone 5.  I'm not about to take it back though, it would cost me a re-stocking fee to do so at this point.

Moral of this story is, if you are in fact wanting an iPhone 5, call the store first to make sure they will take your trade-in at the full $100 value because some won't.  The better option would be to pay the full upgrade price for a new iPhone, and then sell your old smartphone on eBay.  You'll get more money for it.

And for those of you trading in an iPhone 4 or 4s for $100 don't be silly.  Those go for MUCH more on eBay.  Pay the upgrade cost in full and sell yours on eBay unlocked.  You'll probably end up with $300 in your pocket or more.  I did not take my own advice.  I was short on time, sick of my current phone, and honestly just took the $20 ($40 before the hidden fees) and walked out with a much better phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.