Need help understanding your bill?
agedparent83's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, March 7th, 2019 3:50 PM

What are the fees/penalties associated with cancelling a contract?

My mother and her husband are moving in with me in the next few months and I'm wanting to add them to our current wireless plan, that is with a different company. What are the fees/penalties specifically that I need to worry about to get them switched? They are aging and I want to be able to take care of this for them. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Their AT&T bill is available online in myATT account.  It includes information on their installments.  Installments are 24 or 30 months.  Which you indicate they are 12 and 18 months along at most.   That and a final bill is all you pay after porting their numbers out.

In order to use their phones:

1.  Are they going to work on your carrier?  (Check your carriers BYOD Page)

2.  They must be paid off online and unlocked before you port their numbers

3.  You need their account number and PIN code to complete port to your account. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

As for penalties, that totally depends on their current carrier. Unless they are under a service contract, there shouldn’t be any penalties. They would just need to pay off any phones they are still paying for. As for the charges you will incur adding them to your account, add two additional line fees plus you will pay two $30 activation fees. If they are keeping their same phones, make sure they are compatible with ATT and not locked to their old carrier.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks so much for that. But their current carrier is AT&T, and I'm wanting to add them to my current carrier which is not AT&T.  That is why I'm not sure of any penalties.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

how long have they had their phones and account? at&t stopped contracts over 2 years ago

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

She has been with AT&T since before it was AT&T, I think it was Cingular back then? Anyway, my mother just had to get a new phone last year because the other one stopped working. Her husband has had his a year and a half. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

sounds like they may just have to pay off the phones but check with your carrier and see if they have a switcher program and will pay off the phones for bringing in 2 new lines. you may still have to pay them off up front and they will reimburse in credits monthly. also make sure their phones are compatible with your carrier not all phones work on all carriers.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much for the information i really appreciate it! I will contact my carrier today 🙂 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for that information, I really appreciate it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.