Need help understanding your bill?
bironm's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015 1:22 PM

Can't add a wireless line due to Uverse balance?

I have been an att customer since 2011. I had their Uverse cable\internet\home phone service for a short time before canceling and changing providers. I had a final balance that I have been working to pay down. I have kept my wireless bill up to date as usual and recently tried to add a phone line to my wireless acount. I was told over the phone I was good to go and would be able to either go into the store to add a line, go into a retailer or do my order over the phone. I went to a retailer and got through most of the process and then was told I couldn't add a line to my wireless account because of the past due final balance on my cancelled uverse cable\internet\phone account. how is that allowed? I'm being penalized on my wireless account (that was in good standing) on an account that is not even active anymore. Has anyone else had this happen?

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @bironm

I do apologize for the inconvenience however you are not eligible to add a line or perform device upgrades when there is an existing unpaid balance on another AT&T account.

Thank you,

Charise

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

That cannot be true because I upgraded my device earlier this year. I have had another cable service for over a year. That tells me that this balance is very old. Had I known there was still a balance I would have paid it long ago. I was under the impression that account had been paid and closed officially. It wasn't until I went to add a line that I was told I still owed money. I even went as far as providing proof of my final payments and still have not received an explanation as to what these leftover charges are for. I returned the equipment and everything. So I'm not sure then how I was able to upgrade my phone earlier this year if that is the case. No matter what, I don't know how I can be penalized on my wireless account for an outstanding bill on a service that is entirely separate. It was an entirely different account. Now my wireless account is on a hold until I can clear the mystery balance on my old cable account. It's all very frustrating. I was thinking of leaving ATT anyway due to extra charges repeatedly being included on my bill and now this is just it. I will pay down my balance but will be closing out my wireless account in January when my remaining contract is up. I read through pages and pages of horror stories such as mine with ATT and was hoping to not be one of them. Now it seems I am after many years of being a great customer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Same thing happened to me. I'm done with att!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I had a direct tv account 6 years ago that I cancelled because the lady called me a racist b over the phone. Today I went to add a line to my account for att and got told that I had to pay the direct tv account. I signed up with att over a year ago and had no issue but now it's an issue. I told them that I wasn't going to pay it for the reasons why and that it wasn't even a problem a year ago. I think att is just making stuff up as they go along. I will be canceling my services after I am done paying for these phones. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Boomergal wrote:

I had a direct tv account 6 years ago that I cancelled because the lady called me a racist b over the phone. Today I went to add a line to my account for att and got told that I had to pay the direct tv account. I signed up with att over a year ago and had no issue but now it's an issue. I told them that I wasn't going to pay it for the reasons why and that it wasn't even a problem a year ago. I think att is just making stuff up as they go along. I will be canceling my services after I am done paying for these phones. 

I'm not sure what happened a year ago, but today you told AT&T you were refusing to pay a bill you owe. Why on earth would you expect them sell you more stuff?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same here!! It’s a balance that is a mistake, but shouldn’t effect my service since my account was with directv long before at&t acquired directv, I had at&t long before they acquired directv, and directv can’t even give me the same answer between reps! It’s bullsh** and they’re willing to lose a customer who pays an average of $3132/year, who is asking to add TWO additional lines, I.e., spend more money, over something that is both wrong and far less that what i spend every year??? That’s the dumbest, most absolutely absurd thing a business could do! Can you imagine how many people are going through this and how much they could lose by their terrible business practices?!?! Not smart!! 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Juliejeans85, how is not allowing customer who have had trouble paying their bills to have an even bigger bill bad business practice?

if you’re having trouble correcting a billing issue, you should try the Direct TV forums. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just don't get why you cant get a new line from a  Wireless provider by owing a  Cable/LandLine Phone bill has to determine whether you get a new line or not... 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.