For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
SinisterCooper's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, December 24th, 2017 11:00 PM

Can I cancel a line after I get the Buy one Get one Free?

Ok 2 people.  If I upgrade my Iphone and get the buy one get one free option with a new line, can I immediately cancel the 1st line that is already paid off? 

and have 2 lines, 1 with my original number and 1 with a new line and number? 

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, you can do that. I know someone who did the exact same thing earlier this year with the iPhone 7 BOGO and they are currently getting their free phone credits.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@scionbox If you read the thread, the op was going to cancel line #1 which was not involved in the upgrade. He was also opening a 3rd line to get the BOGO and then cancelling one. In other words, he had 2 lines before the upgrade and still had 2 lines after cancelling line #1. The installment plan for any BOGO phone you get must be on the new line. You can use that phone on any line but the installment plan is tied to the new line. If you cancel that new line before the installment plan is completed, you lose the BOGO credits and you get billed whatever is still owed on the phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

A requirement for the free phone is that both phones must be bought on installment plans, so if you were thinking of paying for the “buy one” phone upfront, that won’t work. If you cancel the “buy one” line, you will be billed for the balance owed on the phone. However, since it takes up to 3 bill cycles for the free phone credits to show up, I would be worried that cancelling that other line before you started getting credits would prevent you from getting any free phone credits.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry Im bad at explaining things. 

I currently have 2 phones. 

Phone A- Paid Off

Phone B- Paid Off

If I upgrade Phone B, and Get a new Phone C, both of which are under an Installment plan, Can I Cancel Phone A and Just have Phones B and C . Phone C which is the free phone.  lol . Hope this helps. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Awesome. Just verified through ATT. Thanks

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks!  Did you cancel your new line?  Or did you cancel your "upgraded" line?  Are you still getting bill credits on your account with only one line left?

Many thanks!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

@sandblaster 

Thanks!  I should have seen that example.  I was wondering if the BOGO credits will still continue to go against the monthly service bill if op cancelled the line B (upgrading line) and only keep the Line C (new line), assuming both Line B and Line C are paid off.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Curious can I do the BOGO deal and add a new line of course.  Then..... cancel one of my old lines? 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Jenikens321 Yes, you can. I know someone who has done that twice, now. Once for an iPhone 7 and just recently for an iPhone XR. Just make sure the line you cancel is totally separate from the lines getting the buy one get one phones.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Is it possible to do what the OP wanted, but also change the phone number on phone C (the new line) to the phone number of phone A (which will be cancelled)?   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.