Need help understanding your bill?
maverickruler's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 3:58 AM

Breaking Phone Contract Charges

Hello guys,

If i want to break my phone contract with att, any idea how much they will charge me? I have purchased 2 iPhone 5s recently(1 month before) , and 3 of them are 14 months old smartphones. Another concern is after paying all fees for breaking contract, Can my 2 iPhones will be unlocked by att or not? since i am planinng to use the same phone. Any help I would appriciate!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@maverickruler wrote:

Hello guys,

If i want to break my phone contract with att, any idea how much they will charge me? I have purchased 2 iPhone 5s recently(1 month before) , and 3 of them are 14 months old smartphones. Another concern is after paying all fees for breaking contract, Can my 2 iPhones will be unlocked by att or not? since i am planinng to use the same phone. Any help I would appriciate!!!

For smartphones, early termination fees (ETFs) start at $325 and go down $10 for each month of the contract you've fulfilled. Assuming you've completed one month on each iPhone 5s, that would be $315 * 2 = $630. Assuming you've completed 14 month of the contact on the others, it would be ($325-140)=185*3=$555.

$555 + $630 = $1185.

AT&T's unlocking policy can be found here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=cv_6YGjIZmN

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@maverickruler wrote:
Thanks for the information! However, can att unlock my iPhone ?

Yes, they will once the ETF fees are paid. Be advised, that process can take several weeks from when you submit payment so you don't want to put your unlock request in until you are sure the ETF payment has been posted and your contract is officially complete. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the information! However, can att unlock my iPhone ?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you!

Associated Member

• 

152 Messages

10 years ago

It also depends on what type of iPhone you have.  If it's a newly released device, you may have to wait a certain period of time before it becomes eligble to be unlocked.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Do not break your contract and switch to AT&T!  I did that in April and I was cheated out of $279.26 that I had spent to break carrier contract!!!

hjmadre

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@hjmadre Please don't clutter the forum with this. You already have your own thread, no need to respond to a 2 year old thread to say the same thing you've already posted on several other threads.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.