Need help understanding your bill?
cohoman's profile

Tutor

• 

35 Messages

Sunday, May 12th, 2013 7:19 PM

Best option for using my US smartphone in Canada?

I'm planning a 1-week visit to Canada (Vancouver, BC) later this summer, and I'm looking into options to be able to use my USA smartphone (HTC One) while I'm there. I currently have AT&T service (GSM), and primarily want data and texting service. I know that AT&T has special monthly add-on options for Canada, but they seem costly for a one week visit. Does anyone know if there are any other options? For example, can I buy a pre-paid or pay-as-you-go SIM card from a local Canada carrier and use it in my HTC One? If so, does my HTC One need to be "unlocked" to do this?

Thanks for your responses. I have a feeling that I probably will need to just not use my HTC One while in Canada, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any good ideas! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@cohoman wrote:

I'm planning a 1-week visit to Canada (Vancouver, BC) later this summer, and I'm looking into options to be able to use my USA smartphone (HTC One) while I'm there. I currently have AT&T service (GSM), and primarily want data and texting service. I know that AT&T has special monthly add-on options for Canada, but they seem costly for a one week visit. Does anyone know if there are any other options? For example, can I buy a pre-paid or pay-as-you-go SIM card from a local Canada carrier and use it in my HTC One? If so, does my HTC One need to be "unlocked" to do this?

Thanks for your responses. I have a feeling that I probably will need to just not use my HTC One while in Canada, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any good ideas! 

Thanks for your post cohoman! Here is a link to the Device Unlock Requirements . This should answer all your questions. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cohoman wrote:

the phone is locked to att, so a non-att sim wil not work. If the phone is a newer one chances are it wil not be unlocked by att, new phones arre excempt from unlocking for a period of 6 months to 1 year after release.

Tutor

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Yes the phone (HTC One) was released less than 1 month ago, so it is new. I was hoping that AT&T would unlock it for my trip to Canada, but if what you're saying is true they won't do it until after my trip is over.

Tutor

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

Julie, Thank you very much for that link! Much appreciated.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.