Need help understanding your bill?
anubis6801's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, October 11th, 2014 5:17 PM

Best Value Plan for my Family's Needs?

I wanted to take a moment to express my deep frustration with AT&T while I attempt to add another phone line to my plan, as well as attempt to reduce costs as I currently have the mobile share plan (10GB) and three phones that are attached to it.

I have spoken to AT&T representatives on several occasions (at the AT&T store on Merritt Island, FL. and others on the phone), and explained that I was looking at adding another line for our youngest (a total of 4), while reducing cost as we have always used less than 4GB across the three lines.

However, each time I speak to someone, it seems that they want me to spend MORE money on MORE data that I do not use.

In the end, I would just like an affordable plan that meets my family’s needs, and to date, AT&T has not provided any reasonable alternative. I would argue that our business is not important to AT&T, as you seem ready and willing to let us go to T-Mobile. I find that fact very unfortunate, as we are happy with AT&T and the coverage they provide.

My current contract expires October 18, 2014. I am hopping that AT&T can come up with a reasonable solution that will add another line, while still lowering costs by doing away with data that we never use.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@anubis6801 wrote:

I wanted to take a moment to express my deep frustration with AT&T while I attempt to add another phone line to my plan, as well as attempt to reduce costs as I currently have the mobile share plan (10GB) and three phones that are attached to it.

I have spoken to AT&T representatives on several occasions (at the AT&T store on Merritt Island, FL. and others on the phone), and explained that I was looking at adding another line for our youngest (a total of 4), while reducing cost as we have always used less than 4GB across the three lines.

However, each time I speak to someone, it seems that they want me to spend MORE money on MORE data that I do not use.

In the end, I would just like an affordable plan that meets my family’s needs, and to date, AT&T has not provided any reasonable alternative. I would argue that our business is not important to AT&T, as you seem ready and willing to let us go to T-Mobile. I find that fact very unfortunate, as we are happy with AT&T and the coverage they provide.

My current contract expires October 18, 2014. I am hopping that AT&T can come up with a reasonable solution that will add another line, while still lowering costs by doing away with data that we never use.

OK, if you have a Mobile Share plan, then let's look at the numbers.  If you are on 4GB of data per month, you will pay $70 for data plus $25 per phone for each phone that is out of contract or on NEXT (and you will pay $40 for each phone that is under contract).  If you get 6GB of data, you will pay $80 for the data, and the same for each phone ($25 or $40).  Now if you get 10GB of data, you will pay $100 for data, but for your out of contract or NEXT purchased phones, you only pay $15 per month (it is still $40 for contract phones though).

Doing the numbers, if you have 3 phones now, you pay $70 for 4GB of data, and $75 for 3 out of contract phones. totalling $145/month.  Now. let's look at the smae phones on a 10GB shared plan.  You pay $100 for data plus $45 for the phones totalling $145, except you share 10GB of data not just 4GB.  This is all assumig that you have ou of contract phones, or you are purchasing your phones using NEXT.  When you add in another phone, you will then pay $145+$25 or $170 for 4 phones under a 4GB data plan if all phones are still off contract.  Now, add that 4th phone to the 10GB data plan and you get $145+$15 or $160 for 4 off contract phones.  In this case, moving your data plan up to 10GB can save you $10/month if all 4 phones are either off contract or purchased using NEXT.

So, when they tried to convince you to buy more data, they were trying to save you money in the long run (granted it's only $10/month, but it is still saving you some money).  Where it gets tricky is if you want to get contract subsidized phones in there, and how many, because then you pay for your data plus $40 for each subsidized phone.

Using NEXT can save you a little money of you are on the 10GB data plan, but purchasing a contract subsidized phone will probably save you a little more if you are on a 6GB or lower data plan.  When the dust settles, using NEXT on a 10GB data plan can save you about $200 over 2 years (for each phone) where purchasing a contract subsidized phone is about $50 cheaper per phone if you are on a 6GB or lower data plan. 

If you can swing it, using NEXT and having a 10GB data plan would probably be a good choice because not only would it cost similar to the 4GB data plan, but it would also give you a very nice buffer to help assure you won't have any overages if your kids decide to watch videos for an hour or two while you're in the car.  Without having any more details as to how many of your phoes are under contract and how many are not, it is hard to make a full comparison, but I can tell you that if they are all out of contrsct, then going with a 10GB dta plan can actually save you more money than just adding another phone to your existing 4GB data plan (like I showed above, about $10/month)...

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T goes out of its way to try to lose customers. They go on the attack even with customers who have not complained or done anything wrong.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I can see your point about using the 10GB plan offered by AT&T. In fact, that is the very plan we currently use. And, we own all of our phones, so we are contract free.

Our situation and needs are changing. We are going to add another iPhone line before the end of the year (for a total of four).

We have looked at the numbers, and we never use more than 4.5GBs of data, ever (although, I am the heaviest user at a peak of 3GB).

So, with the 10GB plan, I never realize the full potential, and certainly would not even adding my fourth line.

To be fair, switching to T-Mobile has its share of challenges as they limit each phone to 2.5GB of LTE speeds.

My chief complaint is that they actually wanted me to INCREASE my data plans from 10GB to 15. They do this under the auspices that they are now offering double the data usage for the same price for plans greater than 10GB.

In the end, all I am looking for is a reasonable data plan (6GB would suite us) and not have to pay more for less!

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

9 years ago

Don't give up on AT&T yet.  Just beat them at their own game.  If your family doesn't use the 10GB data each month.  Add some more family.  Not free loaders like your kids but paying family like your brother's or sister's family.  That is what I did and it is working out quite well.  We each pay $50 each toward the 10GB data plan and $15 for each phone.  $110 for my four phone family and $95 for my brother's three phone family rather than $160 and $145 going our seperate ways.  Plus the taxes and fees, of course.

Couple things you have to be aware of. 

1)  No more $199 iphones.

2)  Only four NEXT purchases at any time.

3)  $18 fee per line to transfer service to one of the accounts.  You might be able to avoid

this if your phones are all out of contract by closing account and porting each phone

number to the other account.

Somthing to consider.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am moving and was told that they can only cancel 15 days in advance.. This after making my request and wating on hold..

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@systemerror I've never heard that for canceling cellular.  

Keep in mind they do not prorate your last cell phone bill.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I used to go to West Texas and have very good connection and in the past 2 months I have had horrible connection did AT & T change something?My parents are in bad health condition so I would love to have better connection there area codes are 76943 & 76903 I hope things will get better I have never had trouble with AT&T and would like to stay here but not with all theses problems

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I don't think that AT&T wants to be competitive. I have been a customer for years. I need an upgrade on my phone to an Iphone 7. AT&T wants $650.  Verizon will sell me one for $200 as a new customer and give me $225 gift card after 6 months service. How can you turn that one down. The price of the service monthly is comprable.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

7 years ago

@goldsmith250757 wrote:

I don't think that AT&T wants to be competitive. I have been a customer for years. I need an upgrade on my phone to an Iphone 7. AT&T wants $650.  Verizon will sell me one for $200 as a new customer and give me $225 gift card after 6 months service. How can you turn that one down. The price of the service monthly is comprable.

I looked at Verizon's website, and I didn't see an offer for a $200 iPhone 7. Where did you find that offer?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Go into Costco store. The salesman sId that this was an incentive for switching over to Verizon I think with a 2 yr contract.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.