Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Friday, March 9th, 2018 11:54 PM

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Until recently I had an AT&T cellular account and hotspot for two cell phones.

Reception in my building was poor for several years and i finally switched carriers.

I had no contract and owned my phones.

I ported the phones to the new carrier on Feb 1 and Feb 4 2018.  I began active use on those dates and have telephone records to show this.

I called Customer service and cancelled the Hotspot and accepted the fact I had to pay a $134 cancellation fee.

I understand that many utilities have a policy to advance bill.  AT&T does this.  They charge for the next months service in a current billing cycle so they effectively have a deposit on the services to be provided.

I was charged in the cycle ending Feb 4 for the Period from Feb 5-March 4.

But my service was transferred so I have been charged in advance for services AT&T cannot render.  So I should be refunded.

The Manager on the Customer Service line named Epigmenio tells me AT&T does not reimburse for these services that that are unable to provide.  Yet I paid far all of the services i received.  So essentially AT&T is swindling me and others by advance billing us and then not providing services.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Thank you,

Bruce

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Mow7861 wrote:

This sounds like an Att employee.

This is a customer populated forum, not AT&T.  If employees respond they are CLEARLY identified as such.  

If I’m not refunded, I’ll just have to let all my friend on Facebook and Twitter know that ATT steals your money when you eventually transfer to another carrier.

Whoop de doo.  Can I bet you everyone knows and will tell you other carriers don't ’refund’ either?   I’ve seen people call the big 4 “all devils “.  

Not to mention every wireless forum online I can find. 

Well they will definitely know.  

If you had read the thread (obviously you did NOT) the first page mentions how no carrier refunds.  Not Verizon.   Not Sprint.  Not t-mobile.   And not AT&T.  

Read your customer agreements.   You failed to read at&t’s, will you make the same mistake twice?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So I used to have service with at&t . I have already paid my final bill with them early part of this year. Can I still get my phone unlocked? 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@D200678 wrote:

So I used to have service with at&t . I have already paid my final bill with them early part of this year. Can I still get my phone unlocked? 

In general, you can.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I recently just had the exact same problem with AT&T. I had the service for just 2 months. I wanted a particular phone, that I found at Walmart. The last phone was only available through AT&T, so I took it. I had never had service with AT&T before. I was told that they bill 1 month in advance. So I payed the first bill, a month later, then I got the second bill and payed it. Before the 3rd billing cycle, I decided to pay off my device and go with a different provider to save some money. I received a 3rd bill from AT&T for another month which I didn't even have service with them. I called AT&T, and they continued to tell me that the bill was a valid bill, even though they agreed that I cancelled the service before the next cycle began. All I can say is AT&T is not a good carrier, since they just want to take advantage of their customers by charging money for services not rendered. I work for T-Mobile, but I only went with AT&T because I thought I was getting a good deal, but now that I have had this horrible experience, I will never use AT&T again, and I will make sure to tell all my friends and family not to use them either.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

from all the messages I have seen, it looks to me like AT&T deceives a lot of customers. I understand the month in advance practice, but I don't agree with being charged for an additional month in advance, when you cancel your service BEFORE the next billing cycle and change to a new carrier, because this is exactly what happened to me. They just want customers to pay money for services never used. This is a deceptive practice, and customer service keeps trying to justify the bills, even though they know what they are doing is wrong. They just think everyone is dumb, and can't do simple math. I definitely will never use AT&T again, and I will tell all my friends and family about my experience. I work for T-Mobile, and the only reason I didn't go with them is because I thought I was getting a good deal with AT&T, but now I can see how wrong I was.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@ladyhawk, T-Mobile bills in advance, too; that’s nothing unusual. 

What was your billing cycle and what day did you cancel?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

You are billed for service in advance for internet and Uverse.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Same exact thing happened with me with internet service.

I requested to terminate my service with AT&T as of 10/21 and refund a prorated money back they charged. Cancellation department said I already paid through next billing cycle (11/11) so there would be no prorated money back. 

AT&T mentioned that they informed customers for this policy change, which i don't remember to see nor agree. Also their billing department (in same company!) doesn't even know this either. 

This is small money for me, however, this is Wrong doing as a company for all of their loyal customers.

Is there a way for customers get together and put a legal action for AT&T to stop charging customers for the service they do not use? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

@mok0911 wrote:

Same exact thing happened with me with internet service.

I requested to terminate my service with AT&T as of 10/21 and refund a prorated money back they charged. Cancellation department said I already paid through next billing cycle (11/11) so there would be no prorated money back. 

AT&T mentioned that they informed customers for this policy change, which i don't remember to see nor agree. Also their billing department (in same company!) doesn't even know this either. 

This is small money for me, however, this is Wrong doing as a company for all of their loyal customers.

Is there a way for customers get together and put a legal action for AT&T to stop charging customers for the service they do not use? 

This is policy for all wireless and almost all cable/internet providers.  It’s perfectly legitimate.  The service is there until the last  day of billing - if choose not to use it that on you.  
    I’ve had Dish, DirecTV, Xfinity, AT&T, Frontier, and Cox for TV/internet.  None of them prorated the final bill.  
Read your service agreements folks.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

AT&T mentioned that they informed customers for this policy change, which i don't remember to see nor agree.

The policy change was done in January and it included internet, tv and home phone service. There should have been a notice on your bill but unfortunately, it does not matter whether you agree with it or not.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.