Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Friday, March 9th, 2018 11:54 PM

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Until recently I had an AT&T cellular account and hotspot for two cell phones.

Reception in my building was poor for several years and i finally switched carriers.

I had no contract and owned my phones.

I ported the phones to the new carrier on Feb 1 and Feb 4 2018.  I began active use on those dates and have telephone records to show this.

I called Customer service and cancelled the Hotspot and accepted the fact I had to pay a $134 cancellation fee.

I understand that many utilities have a policy to advance bill.  AT&T does this.  They charge for the next months service in a current billing cycle so they effectively have a deposit on the services to be provided.

I was charged in the cycle ending Feb 4 for the Period from Feb 5-March 4.

But my service was transferred so I have been charged in advance for services AT&T cannot render.  So I should be refunded.

The Manager on the Customer Service line named Epigmenio tells me AT&T does not reimburse for these services that that are unable to provide.  Yet I paid far all of the services i received.  So essentially AT&T is swindling me and others by advance billing us and then not providing services.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Thank you,

Bruce

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@rahommel wrote:

The policy that they are telling me is the opposite of every other carrier and telecommunications company in the country.  I'm waiting for a supervisor to call me to resolve.

There's no reason to post more than once, but since you did...that's incorrect. All cell phone carriers bill for a full month at a time with no refunds. The only exception I've heard about is Google Project Fi. You should check the terms and conditions from your new provider. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Micheck,

Every other telecommunications company I have EVER dealt with has prorated service upon cancellation.  Your company's policy is blatently unfair and a ripoff.  As for me, who is in the same boat, someone from AT&T had better provide me with a copy of my contract that I SIGNED that contains that provision.  If not, I won't be paying my last bill either.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@rahommel wrote:

Every other telecommunications company I have EVER dealt with has prorated service upon cancellation. 

You make it sound like a lot of companies that you've canceled with...

I believe Verizon, T-Mo, Sprint and AT&T all do NOT prorate and they're pretty much the big four. 

Whom have you canceled with?

Your company's policy is blatently unfair and a ripoff. 

It's monthly service, I can see how you'd be unhappy, but I'm not sure how it's "blatently unfair and a ripoff".

As for me, who is in the same boat, someone from AT&T had better provide me with a copy of my contract that I SIGNED that contains that provision.  If not, I won't be paying my last bill either.

Since you're responsible for paying it, maybe you should google the terms and conditions and check.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@rahommel wrote:

Micheck,

Every other telecommunications company I have EVER dealt with has prorated service upon cancellation.  Your company's policy is blatently unfair and a ripoff.  As for me, who is in the same boat, someone from AT&T had better provide me with a copy of my contract that I SIGNED that contains that provision.  If not, I won't be paying my last bill either.

Well, I don't know the policies of every other telecommunications company your have EVEN does business with. I do know the policies of every major cell phone provider (none of which are "my" company; I'm not from AT&T).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

You are all lying at AT&T, you do have that announcement on your lines, today when I called to report the same issues I was told that my call may be recorded for training purposes. Today is September 15, 2018, I have tried to cancel my service for the last 2 weeks, but I was told I would still be billed for another month, but if I called at one minute after midnight on the last day of my billing period I would not be charged anything!!!! Well there is no one to answer your phones at 1 minute after midnight, just another way that you All at At&T can cheat and steal from your customers. I was no longer in a contract, and all of my devices had been previously paid for, but you still screwed me, AGAIN!!! You are the worst company in America with the worst service of any cellular company in America, yet when we tried to get help in the entire 4 years of having been STUCK with AT&T we got nothing for our thousands of dollars over those years, lack of service, slower than aol dial up, dropped calls, or no service to even make a call, and most of all we were told that our phones and iPad would not work with any other carrier, another high LIE to keep us under your spell. We will tell everyone we know not to ever TRUST AT&T and to switch to another carrier if they aren’t in your pathetic contracts. Your company and your slime ball ways of taking money from consumers without delivering any type of quality of service is going to come to an abrupt stop. Word of mouth and social media is a powerful source for anyone that has been screwed over by AT&T!!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I cancelled my service on 11/30. I paid $134 for a bill that covered 11/17-12/16. They then charged me another $139 (service plus late fee) for 12/17-1/16. How is this right? 

I don’t mind paying for unused service on 12/1-12/16 but a whole month after that? Has anyone had that issue?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Olenka81 wrote:

I cancelled my service on 11/30. I paid $134 for a bill that covered 11/17-12/16. They then charged me another $139 (service plus late fee) for 12/17-1/16. How is this right? 

I don’t mind paying for unused service on 12/1-12/16 but a whole month after that? Has anyone had that issue?

• Have you verified that you canceled? (that it actually took)
  • Did you port out?
    If you ported out, your new carrier won't port out tablets, hotspots or wearables. You have to cancel those.

Look at the PRINTED bills or PDFs of the bills and look at the date range of the top of the bill.

Your 10/17-11/16 bill likely didn't get paid until around 12/1-ish. Your 11/17-12/16 bill should have just been created a week ago-ish.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Just had the same scenario ....Ported to Consumer Cellular (way cheaper), on, as it happened, the first day of billing cycle.   Also had an IPAD w/ cellular that was not porting,  so called to drop that service completely on same day.  No contract, owned all my devices, 18 years w/ ATT.  Was treated nicely, but of course not told about billing.  Today called because I logged in to see final bill and noticed IPAD was still active.  After 2 calls (first one they had me on hold and hung up) and 15 minute wait was transferred to "loyalty" department where I got the sad news that I was being billed in full for month for which I had no devices!  No appeal - supervisor confirmed policy.   I was so angry I forgot to ask them what there policy is on prorating new service - bet they don't mind doing that.   Anyway,  not regretting my decision to leave at all.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Just got off with AT&T. Had my number ported 3 months ago with no contractual obligation. Phones were all paid off and unlocked. I was charged unknowingly until my mail came to my new address stating I owe over $300. I even stated on the call so you charged me for services that were never rendered. They said yes and we apologize there is nothing we can do to credit the account. How about that for customer service. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@AngryCust319 wrote:

Just got off with AT&T. Had my number ported 3 months ago with no contractual obligation. Phones were all paid off and unlocked. I was charged unknowingly until my mail came to my new address stating I owe over $300. I even stated on the call so you charged me for services that were never rendered. They said yes and we apologize there is nothing we can do to credit the account. How about that for customer service. 

If you ported your numbers out, what were they charging you for? Every charge should be on the bill.

How does that compare to the previous month's bill?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.