Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Friday, March 9th, 2018 11:54 PM

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Until recently I had an AT&T cellular account and hotspot for two cell phones.

Reception in my building was poor for several years and i finally switched carriers.

I had no contract and owned my phones.

I ported the phones to the new carrier on Feb 1 and Feb 4 2018.  I began active use on those dates and have telephone records to show this.

I called Customer service and cancelled the Hotspot and accepted the fact I had to pay a $134 cancellation fee.

I understand that many utilities have a policy to advance bill.  AT&T does this.  They charge for the next months service in a current billing cycle so they effectively have a deposit on the services to be provided.

I was charged in the cycle ending Feb 4 for the Period from Feb 5-March 4.

But my service was transferred so I have been charged in advance for services AT&T cannot render.  So I should be refunded.

The Manager on the Customer Service line named Epigmenio tells me AT&T does not reimburse for these services that that are unable to provide.  Yet I paid far all of the services i received.  So essentially AT&T is swindling me and others by advance billing us and then not providing services.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Thank you,

Bruce

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Oh, sorry.  You're right, I did misread it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Ihatejosh wrote:

Oh, sorry.  You're right, I did misread it. 

Reading is good.  

If you'd read your terms, you'd have known they would bill you monthly for your monthly service  😉

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

You don't have to be rude.  I'm just upset I have to pay for a service I feel is unfair.  I know how you feel about it so I guess hopefully we can consider this matter closed.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Ihatejosh wrote:

You don't have to be rude.  

Actually, it was pretty factual and I even gave you a winky face, since (while it was true) it was teasing you.

RUDE is... More like starting four different threads on the same topic.  😛

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Ok, thanks for voicing your opinion on the matter.  

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Totally wrong for ATT to keep your money when they are not providing the service.  Happened to me also, but I called them ahead of time to let them know I was changing carriers.  They couldn't tell me how much I'd owe for a partial month.  (Never mentioned they didn't prorate)  I paid half of my bill for the 14 days service.  Now I'm getting threats from them, saying they'll send it to a collection agency,  for $48.90?   Really AT&T  That Does Not Help your Reputation. 

And it's been bad for a while.  This is the worst company I've dealt with for the last 15 years

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I may not have read it but I did call before I switched to find out what I'd owe.   They never mentioned they didn't prorate.  ATT is awful!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Sunshine101, if you don’t pay your bill, it goes to collections. I’m not sure why you think that hurts AT&T’s reputation. 

Whether you knew in advance the month wasn’t prorated is irrelevant. You owe the full amount, not just a random amount you think is owed. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Sunshine101 wrote:

(Never mentioned they didn't prorate) 

Who is your new company? I bet they don't prorate either when you leave.

I paid half of my bill for the 14 days service.  Now I'm getting threats from them, saying they'll send it to a collection agency,  for $48.90?   Really AT&T  That Does Not Help your Reputation. 

You don't pay a bill and you think it's THEIR reputation? It's YOUR credit report that it's going to show up on.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

What you said is definitely what I expect, but that is NOT what I am being told by customer service and the Mobile Retention  Dept.  We cancelled service on the first day of our billing cycle, and they are telling me that we have to pay for the entire month.  The policy that they are telling me is the opposite of every other carrier and telecommunications company in the country.  I'm waiting for a supervisor to call me to resolve.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.