Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Until recently I had an AT&T cellular account and hotspot for two cell phones.

Reception in my building was poor for several years and i finally switched carriers.

I had no contract and owned my phones.

I ported the phones to the new carrier on Feb 1 and Feb 4 2018.  I began active use on those dates and have telephone records to show this.

I called Customer service and cancelled the Hotspot and accepted the fact I had to pay a $134 cancellation fee.

I understand that many utilities have a policy to advance bill.  AT&T does this.  They charge for the next months service in a current billing cycle so they effectively have a deposit on the services to be provided.

I was charged in the cycle ending Feb 4 for the Period from Feb 5-March 4.

But my service was transferred so I have been charged in advance for services AT&T cannot render.  So I should be refunded.

The Manager on the Customer Service line named Epigmenio tells me AT&T does not reimburse for these services that that are unable to provide.  Yet I paid far all of the services i received.  So essentially AT&T is swindling me and others by advance billing us and then not providing services.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Thank you,

Bruce

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 55
ACE - Sage

Re: Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Nope.  ATT bills you after usage and is truly postpaid service.  My bill paid on the 6th of March was for 18th of January to 17th of February.

If you left ATT before the end of your bill cycle you’re final bill is not prorated.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 55
Teacher

Re: Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

Wireless service does not generate partial credits when it is canceled in the middle of the billing cycle so if the charges had been already generated you had to pay for them and then use them. If you canceled, you´ll need to pay that amount even if the service was not used. It is in your wireless agreement that you can easily find in the web. Not credits will be given to you so don´t waste your time trying to contact customer service. Just start your new life with your new carrier. Have a good one.

Message 3 of 55
Tutor

I had prepaid ATT. They billed me on Mar9 for service on Mar 10-Apr 9. I cancelled on Mar8, but port moved Mar 9. They are billing me for a full month of service that I am not getting. I will NEVER use ATT again,.; Had it in NJ. It was bad then then and is bad now now. I am cheated

Message 4 of 55
Teacher

In this case, I would suggest you to contact AT&T Prepaid Customer Service over the phone to see what´s going on. If everything was done before charges had been generated, maybe the account was closed late and it generated a month in advance. Try calling 611 from AT&T mobile phone  or 800.901.9878.

Message 5 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, your description is incorrect.

AT&T's billing cycle charges you for the coming month, not the month ended
during the billing cycle. You Pre-Pay.
So when you cancel during the billing cycle you have already paid for the
billing cycle you are in . You paid it the previous month.
If they do not credit for a "usage cycle" where you never had a phone on
their network, they create a situation where you can never cancel without
being charged for services you could never receive.

Message 6 of 55
Teacher

You said I was charged in the cycle ending Feb 4 for the Period from Feb 5-March 4. It means that if you were charged Feb 5-March 4, it is because even the account was closed in Feb 5 or after, not on Feb 4 or before so as you mentioned you have to pay for the month ahead of you. Bill in advance.

There is not something called "usage cycle", even if the phone was not in the network, charges had been already generated and they cannot reversed and they are valid, as I mentioned, it is in your wireless agreement.

1.5 How Does AT&T Calculate My Bill?

Usage and monthly fees will be billed as specified in your customer service summary or rate plan information online. If the Equipment you order is shipped to you, your Services may be activated before you take delivery of the Equipment so that you can use it promptly upon receipt. Thus, you may be charged for Services while your Equipment is still in transit. If, upon receiving your first bill, you have been charged for Services while your Equipment was in transit, you may contact Customer Care 1-800-331-0500 to request a credit. Except as provided below, monthly Services and certain other charges are billed one month in advance, and there is no proration of such charges if Service is terminated on other than the last day of your billing cycle. https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatChargesAmIResponsibleFor

Message 7 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you intended help.....

The Feb 4 billing cycle ran from Jan 5- Feb 4. On that statement I was
charged for the service to be rendered from Feb 5-March 4. It says that
very clearly on the bill. That is what is called a prepayment. I referred
to this period when services would be rendered as the "usage cycle"
(please note the quotes) since it is the period they are charging for usage
of their system, in advance, during their billing cycle.

My phones were cancelled and already activated on the other carrier by Feb
4, before the next "usage cycle" So the charges for service to be rendered
starting Feb 5 should be credited as the phones were cancelled and the
services can't be rendered.

When new service is activated, AT&T charges the user for that "usage
period" and a prepayment for the next usage period. So a return of a
pre-payment is appropriate after service cannot be offered provided
services were cancelled before the new usage period commenced..

Message 8 of 55
ACE - Sage

@Annoyed81 wrote:

I had prepaid ATT. They billed me on Mar9 for service on Mar 10-Apr 9. I cancelled on Mar8, but port moved Mar 9. They are billing me for a full month of service that I am not getting. I will NEVER use ATT again,.; Had it in NJ. It was bad then then and is bad now now. I am cheated

@Annoyed81

You didnt post on prepaid.  Prepaid doesn’t bill, they refill.  You should have turned off auto pay and ported out on time.  Prepaid does not refund.  

Prepaid service is refilled 1-2 days before your renew date to prevent interruption in service.  Had you turned off auto pay, you could have ported out in the last day without the charge going through.

BTW the only way to cancel prepaid is to stop paying or port out before payment is taken.  Calling ATT DOES NOT cancel prepiad service. 

There are no cancelation fees on prepaid.  So how are you charged an ETF unless you had some devices on Postpaid?    

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 55
Teacher

In this case, there is not another option that look at the bill again but the way you mentioned, it is not how AT&T billing works if we´re talking about wireless postpaid service but you clarify the things more. If you were still on the bill with billing cycle Jan 5- Feb 4, the charges for billing cycle Feb 5-March 4 should not have been generated still on that bill because it is clearly the billing cycle Jan 5- Feb 4. According to your description, you are being charged for 2 billing cycles on same bill which is inaccurate and of course those charges should be removed, if you are seeing an example: Plan Monthly Charges Jan 5- Feb 4 $325.00 and Plan Monthly Charges Feb 5-March 4 $325.00 in the same cycle Jan 5- Feb 4, that is clearly incorrect.

You´ll not see Feb 5-March 4 charges until Feb 5 or after on your online account, sometimes it generally takes 8-10 business to be posted online so again, if you saw those charges in previous billing cycle, they would need to be removed.

AT&T charges in advance but just for 1 billing cycle ahead NOT 2. An example:  Feb 5-March 4 billing cycle with due date Feb 25th. Charges already generated and you pay for that on or before due date. You decide to cancel in Feb 26, there are not proration from Feb 26 to Mar 4 even if you already paid in advance, it just applies for wireless service.

Message 10 of 55
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎03-09-2018 8:24 PM

Postpaid bills are produced 4 days after the bill cycle ends and are due 21 days after bill closes.

Prepaid refills 1-2 days before renewal date.  There is not cancelation fees.

Seems you had phones on prepaid and hotspots on postpaid, under contract.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 55
ACE - Master

@Anonymous:

IF...and that’s a big if...your billing cycle started on February 5th AND your numbers were ported and all service cancelled by February 4, then you are correct that you should not have had a new bill on February 5. 

I suspect that one of those two conditions are not correct, most likely the port had not completed on AT&T’s end before the 5th. 

You should be able to call AT&T and simply ask what day they show your services ended to fix nd out for sure. 

Message 12 of 55
Contributor

Like utilities, most major U.S. cell carriers bill for service one-month in advance.  That means your first months' bill issued near the date of activation (say, Jan 1) covers the period ~Jan 1-Jan 31.  That "advanced billing" continues throughout your life of service so upon cancellation, unless the date of cancellation is perfectly timed your carrier will likely owe you a pro-rated refund.  For example, say you chose to terminate service on Feb 15: on Feb 1, however, you'll have already been billed (and perhaps paid) the full month of Feb 1 - Feb 28.  If you indeed paid that bill, you're entitled to contact your carrier and request a partial month refund for the remaining period of Feb 16-28 - that represents the period during which your carrier billed you for service, but of course service that you did not use. 

Message 13 of 55
ACE - Master

@Billcorrector wrote:

Like utilities, most major U.S. cell carriers bill for service one-month in advance.  That means your first months' bill issued near the date of activation (say, Jan 1) covers the period ~Jan 1-Jan 31.  That "advanced billing" continues throughout your life of service so upon cancellation, unless the date of cancellation is perfectly timed your carrier will likely owe you a pro-rated refund.  For example, say you chose to terminate service on Feb 15: on Feb 1, however, you'll have already been billed (and perhaps paid) the full month of Feb 1 - Feb 28.  If you indeed paid that bill, you're entitled to contact your carrier and request a partial month refund for the remaining period of Feb 16-28 - that represents the period during which your carrier billed you for service, but of course service that you did not use. 

That is not the case for cell phone service. Wireless providers do not prorate the final month of service. That is specifically mentioned in the Terms of Service. 

You are certainly "entitled to contact your carrier and request" a refund,  but your carrier is entitled to point you to the terms you agreed to and tell you "No."

Message 14 of 55
Contributor

Seems a choice.  In my opinion, sure, carriers are entitled to say "no" to consumers' requests to refund services paid but not delivered - just as consumers are entitled to see some carriers' T&Cs as what may viewed as contracts of adhesion.  I suspect that most carriers would choose - if given a choice -  to err on the side of consumer goodwill & fairness and refund, rather than anchor on what may be viewed as unfair billing practices buried in the depths of potentially one-way contact languange.  An entitled choice indeed.

Message 15 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support