Need help understanding your bill?
Monroe846's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, January 20th, 2019 8:47 AM

Att gave me inaccurate information on a BOGO offer

In September 2018 I purchased two iPhone 8 phones after confirming the terms of the promotion of the BOGO offer. After waiting 4 months to receive the promised credit I learned your representative misinformed me of the terms and I was told there is nothing att can do for me as a result. Your rep today refused to allow me to send them a copy of the chat where Your rep incorrectly stated the terms. Needless to say I am angry about this misrepresentation and would like a refund or credit as promised

Here is a copy of that chat:

Agent: Welcome to AT&T Chat. While we connect you to an agent, please share how we can help you today?
Customer: How does the buy one get one free work?
Customer: Does this chat use data?
Customer: Hello?
Agent: Hi! My name is Paul. I'm happy to help! Please give me a moment to review your request.
Agent: Thank you for all your time Benjamin
Agent: I can totally help you with that immediately
Agent: In order to give you accurate information, and personalized offers, could you please provide me with your full name and full phone number?
Customer: Benjamin
Agent: Thank you
Agent: And yes, this chat would count against your data allowance, so I will explain to you the fast as possible
Agent: A buy one get one is a promotions that works with 2 devices. You bought 2 devices and you are being charged for the 2, However the second device starts to received monthly credits from the 3rd month, can cover the total amount of the cost of the device or a part of it, such as a max in credits of $650 or $700
Customer: Ok thanks. I don’t have to sign up for
Customer: How does the buy one get one free work?
Customer: Does this chat use data?
Customer: Hello?
Agent: Hi! My name is Paul. I'm happy to help! Please give me a moment to review your request.
Agent: Thank you for all your time Benjamin
Agent: I can totally help you with that immediately
Agent: In order to give you accurate information, and personalized offers, could you please provide me with your full name and full phone number?
Customer: Benjamin monroe 
Agent: Thank you
Agent: And yes, this chat would count against your data allowance, so I will explain to you the fast as possible
Agent: A buy one get one is a promotions that works with 2 devices. You bought 2 devices and you are being charged for the 2, However the second device starts to received monthly credits from the 3rd month, can cover the total amount of the cost of the device or a part of it, such as a max in credits of $650 or $700
Customer: Ok thanks. I don’t have to sign up for direct tv?
Agent: In some BoGo yes, due to the requirement, However in our latest bogo with the iPhone its only necessary to have a wireless service
Customer: Ok thanks.    [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

That isn’t even close to a list of requirements.   All BOGO offers are printed on the sales pages for the phones.  

Every single BOGO requires a new line for the “get one” phone.   If you upgraded 2 lines without adding a line, you didn’t qualify.   You woukd have to give up a phone number and add a new one to gain from the offer.  

Every BOGO requires you use installments.  

Many BOGO offers required TV and had limits. 

The list is considerable.  You should always read the requirements, not expect a chat agent to type al this.

FB5289A3-8F09-4D88-A972-10656992F9B2.jpeg

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

So what was the inaccurate information? I saw nothing in the chat that was inaccurate. The chat agent did not mention the new line but you didn’t ask, you only asked about Directv. Nor did you ask if there were any other requirements. They probably assumed you knew about the new line requirement since you asked about Directv.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Monroe846 You did tell the guy you were worried about data and that pretty much implies don't type too much.

So, I'm not sure why you wouldn't read and keep a copy of the actual offer itself? Instead, you did chat and told the rep to basically hurry.

You asked about DirecTV, which does make you sound knowledgable, but not "are there other requirements?"

That said, I don't know why the reps don't:

• have a list of requirements that get pasted in as soon as the person asks about the BOGO.
  • mention the maximum dollar reimbursement for that BOGO.
  • includes a link to the BOGO that is being discussed.
  • remind the customer to read the requirements several times.
  • remind them that if they don't purchase today, they should verify all the details again the day they do sign up.

This would take virtually no time, requires little knowledge and would produce happier customers, which is really what AT&T needs.

Some people would shy away, but I think more people would take it because they understand it.

For example, the maximum amount for reimbursement totally makes sense if you think about it (and know about it in advance), BUT when you hear about it afterward, you're just mad that they are cheating you.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

In September 2018 I purchased two iPhone 8 phones after confirming the terms of the promotion of the BOGO offer. After waiting 4 months to receive the promised credit I learned your representative misinformed me of the terms and I was told there is nothing att can do for me as a result. Your rep today refused to allow me to send them a copy of the chat where Your rep incorrectly stated the terms. Needless to say I am angry about this misrepresentation and would like a refund or credit as promised

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@oranginakouki wrote: 
Your rep today refused to allow me to send them a copy of the chat where Your rep incorrectly stated the terms. Needless to say I am angry about this misrepresentation and would like a refund or credit as promised

We don't work for AT&T, this is the COMMUNITY FORUMS.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@oranginakouki wrote:

In September 2018 I purchased two iPhone 8 phones after confirming the terms of the promotion of the BOGO offer.

And you confirmed by reading the ACTUAL written offer on the iPhone 8 sales page?   

No?  

Bingo.  Lack of planning.  

After waiting 4 months to receive the promised credit I learned your representative misinformed me of the terms and I was told there is nothing att can do for me as a result. Your rep today refused to allow me to send them a copy of the chat where Your rep incorrectly stated the terms. Needless to say I am angry about this misrepresentation and would like a refund or credit as promised

You got 2 phones at the fair retail price.  You aren’t owed anything if you didn’t keep your end of the offer at the time. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.