Need help understanding your bill?
Shinneyshanks's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 9:16 PM

Att Next after upgrade

My daughter is on our plan and is now eligible for an upgrade through her AT&T Next plan. If she gets her upgrade, is she required to enter a new AT&T plan, or can she continue month to month? She has graduated college and will be taking over her phone bill, but she'd like to get the upgrade now that it's paid for. So, if she upgrades via AT&T Next, can she remain on month to mo th?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

There is no service contract with a Next upgrade, so yes she can stay on month to month. Even if she moves her line off your plan and to her own plan, the Next payments will stay with the line. If she leaves ATT and goes to another carrier, then whatever is owed on the phone will be due.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster Is correct.

Just my 2 cents...

When she leaves your plan, she has to choose from the currently available plans.  If she moves out on her own, she may or may not be in an ATT service area.  With that in mind, plan ahead.   Buy a phone that will work on any carrier.  Consider if she will have the funds to pay it off and/or pay $100+ per month on a single plan.  

I would encourage her to buy a universal unlocked phone and pay full price, or start banking the cash to do so.  There are phones which will work on all carriers.  There are excellent phones that don't cost $800.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Shinneyshanks wrote:
My daughter is on our plan and is now eligible for an upgrade through her AT&T Next plan. If she gets her upgrade, is she required to enter a new AT&T plan, or can she continue month to month? She has graduated college and will be taking over her phone bill, but she'd like to get the upgrade now that it's paid for. So, if she upgrades via AT&T Next, can she remain on month to mo th?

Think of Next like a Credit Card (but with no interest) that you use to buy a phone at full price.

Your CC company does not care how long you stay with AT&T or if you break it or what you do with the phone, you still owe the money. The difference with Next is IF you leave AT&T then the rest is due (also at certain points in your plan they will "buy" your old Next phone from you for the cost of the remaining payments).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.