For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Josht1122's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, March 18th, 2017 5:13 PM

At&t lied and stole my money

I contacted AT&T to ask the best way to cancel service. I was laughed at, disrespected and told they never pro rate bills, and that the only day I can cancel service is the last day of the billing cycle and that I am NOT allowed to schedule that (to assure i dont forget), I can only cancel the last day of cycle or face being charged another full month whether I use it or not. I was so upset I called to get a different rep, he said he assures me if I port my numbers out my last bill will be pro rated. I ask 3 times, he says "sir ive been with at&t for 5 years, i am certain!". I said ok how long until I can have my devices unlocked. He tells me I will recieve a final statement in 3-5 days and once I pay the devices off I will be unlocked in about 2 days. Great so I switch....

5 days later I call and say, I can no longer access the app and I would like to pay my final bill, they say my bill wont be ready for about 30 days!!! Meanwhile I sold the devices and assured the buyers they would be unlocked within a week. I was embarrassed and furious so I called AT&T back and really got upset, the lady said she was so sorry I was misinformed and that she would help me. She totaled up my final charges and said she would prorate the bill and she will submit a case and have the devices unlocked in 2 days. Great, so they charge my card for $1142. And then send me an email that they arent going to unlock my phones because they arent paid for.

THEY CHARGED MY DEBIT CARD FOR $1142. I HAVE EMAIL CONFIRMATION AND BANK RECORDS TO PROVE IT. And they email me that they havent recieved it so they cant unlock my phones. This is insane, no one knows what they are talking about and I very well may have just had over a thousand dollars stolen off of me by a major phone company.

I AM DISGUSTED!

(ive also had to pay return shipping and handling for the devices I sold to and I was made to look like a complete fool)

I could literally go on for days about how many lies or poor information their reps spit out. I will sue this company if they stole my money.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

The community is a great resource for the truth as we have no horse in this race.

The first person may have been rude, but was correct.  

1.   No major carrier prorates final bill.  Billing is month to month.   

2.   To cancel without paying for unused service, cancel or port numbers to a new carrier a couple days before the end of your bill cycle.  PLAN AHEAD.  

3.   If you pay off phones while still a customer, you can unlock them.  

4.   If you cancel services, you must pay off all amounts, including a final bill, which may not be produced for several days.  It is produced on the usual day.  PLAN AHEAD.   

If you cancel service without porting your numbers, your numbers are lost.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Answer to 

1&2. I DID port my numbers

3 &4. I paid off all devices and the $302 (non pro rated final bill) even tho as you stated that last bill should have been pro rated as I did port out the numbers.

Thanks for confirming that I was ripped off and lied to.

Seems like all the "experts" tow the AT&T line...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Josht1122 wrote:
Answer to 

1&2. I DID port my numbers

3 &4. I paid off all devices and the $302 (non pro rated final bill) even tho as you stated that last bill should have been pro rated as I did port out the numbers.

You might want to reread what @lizdance40 stated. Final bills are not pro-rated regardless of when you cancel or how you cancel. Porting your lines simply causes service to be cancelled without having to call ATT to cancel. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

You should re read it. Because your wrong lol, @lizdance40 said they do when you port numbers.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

2. To cancel without paying for unused service, cancel or port numbers to a new carrier a couple days before the end of your bill cycle. PLAN AHEAD.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

No carrier in the industry pro-rates the final bill. Not a single one. If a number is ported out, then service will be cancelled on the last day of the billing cycle. That full cycle will appear on the final bill as well as accelerated installment payments for any equipment that is not paid off.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Josht1122 wrote:
Answer to 

1&2. I DID port my numbers.  This cancels your service, no need to contact the carrier you are leaving.   You DO NOT want to cancel with your existing carrier BEFORE you port your number or you lose your numbers.

That is NOT what I wrote.  NO CARRIER PRORATES YOUR FINAL BILL.

Your phones will NOT be unlocked until your final bill is paid and you owe ATT $0

Thanks for confirming that I was ripped off and lied to.  Your reading comprehension isn't getting a passing grade.   

Seems like all the "experts" tow the AT&T line...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Josht1122 wrote:
2. To cancel without paying for unused service, cancel or port numbers to a new carrier a couple days before the end of your bill cycle. PLAN AHEAD.

I did not say service are prorated.  I said to AVOID PAYING for service YOU CANT USE wait till the end of your bill period.  

Example:  the 17th is the end of my bill period.  I have to pay for the entire period of March 18 to April 17.  If I leave ATT, I want to port out on the 15th or 16th so I get to use all the month I have to pay for.   If I port out on the 1st of April, I will be paying for another 16 days of service I can't use. (Unused service)

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

{keep it courteous}

It really doesnt matter what the standard policy is because no one at AT&T says the same thing when you call as evidences by countless posts on this website, they are notorious for giving bad info. But what I do have is call records and emails and if AT&T wants to listen to the call I had with Shivani M. On 3/15/17 at roughly 10:30 am EST they can feel free and after that Im sure no wone would misinterpret the FACT that she said "Im sorry you have been so misled sir and Im going to pro rate your bill and unlock your devices"

JOSHUA J. Txxxxxx Wireless Number:   (412) 370-xxxx   Thank you for using AT&T!   It was my pleasure to help you today. Below is a summary of our discussion:   Existing balance on the account: $-971.78
Cases for device unlock:
CM20170315_123120270
CM20170315_123120271
CM20170315_123120272
Expected Resolution: 2017-03-17 end of day   If we can help you further, please refer to http://wireless.att.com/ or call us at 1-800-331-0500.   Sincerely,   Shivani M. AT&T Customer Care 1-800-331-0500

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Josht1122wrote:

It really doesnt matter what the standard policy is because no one at AT&T says the same thing when you call as evidences by countless posts on this website,

The policies are in WRITING, it does matter what the standard policy is.

It doesn't really matter all that much if you don't actually listen. When you turn "no one prorates" into "AT&T does", I worry about what you heard from AT&T.  People are telling them you read it incorrectly and then you are disagreeing with them, a volunteer actually took the time to write that in response and you get rude with other other people when they tell you that you should reread it.

It sounds like you got contradictory information and then picked the one with the information you liked best.

I understand you got some bad info, but it's all out there. You could have come asked here.

The bigger problem appears to be you sold your phones before you paid for them and before you unlocked them. Even if you'd done the process 100% correctly, sometimes there are problems and delays unlocking phones. Unlocking them while you are a customer seems like it would be a lot easier then when you are not a customer...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.