Need help understanding your bill?
Koobles's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 11th, 2018 8:13 PM

Closed

At&t calling asking for a PIN. Scam?

I just received a phone call from 1-800-331-0551. Google search showed up nothing. They claimed that they are calling from AT&T because they are receiving reports that a lot of people have been calling from my area saying there have been connection issues and would like to give me $10 credit per line to compensate. The rep told me that a text message is coming to my phone with a PIN to read out to him.  Text message looks legit however it says "We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 1-800-331-0500."

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, it is a scam. ATT does not make calls like that.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I received the same call from 1-800-331-0050, which is very close to the actual customer service number 1-800-331-0500. They asked to verify that I received the message and to read the pin code back, and I read it back assuming this was a legit call. 3 of my lines were hacked, where they used my account and phone numbers to add themselves as an authorized user, start contract agreements and get new devices, including 2 iphones & 1 ipad. Now all lines are suspended and unable to use until the fraud department is back open after the holiday weekend. I am furious because 2 of them are for work! How are people are able to do this so easily, and with it being a known issue, AT&T hasn't warned their customers or have done anything about it! This whole experience has been stressful, and I feel violated, and AT&T has done nothing to make this process any easier....definitely makes me want to switch after over 15 years with them... when they were still Cingular. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

The rule of thumb (thanks mom) is you only give personal information if you call them.  Always assume someone calling you is a scam.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

I’m not understanding how reading back a 4 digit number that was sent to you completes the scam unless that 4 digit number just happens to match the account pin. Perhaps the recorded voice somehow gets used? Is there a way to retrieve or reset your account pin via text message? I know there is for prepaid but not aware of any way for postpaid.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@pnwedmonds, I can certainly understand the frustration, your blaming of AT&T is misplaced. 

https://www.att.com/att/fraud/en/

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster I'm not sure how they did it, but according to the fraud dept., it seems that they used this pin code to log in online, added themself as an authorized user, then headed to the store to complete their scam. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

@MicCheck I'm not blaming AT&T.  Scams and frauds happen everyday to anyone. It sounds like it's a known scam, so there should be another safeguard...it shouldn't be that easy for someone to get into someone else's account. My frustration is obviously that it happened to me but the experience with AT&T customer service reps (on the phone) was incompetent and unhelpful. The fraud department and instore employees were more competent and  helpful. 

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I have been getting these calls for months and have reported it to AT&T multiple times as I worked in information security for the last decade. [Edited to comply with Guidelines] Contact the  Federal Communications Commission, and the Federal Trade Commission to report this failure by AT&T to protect their customers’ private information as they are legally required to do.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Actually AT&T, as a business that collects and stores the protected and private data of its customers, is legally obliged to protect that data under federal law. Any customer affected should report the breach to FTC and FCC.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

yes, that’s exactly how they’re doing it. Using ‘forgot my pin’ feature online to change it. They’re calling from a spoofed number. That’s so easy to do, and 11 year old can do it with a fun Call app.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.