Need help understanding your bill?
kelce02's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 8:13 PM

Amber Alerts out of the blue.

My phone has started to receive Amber Alerts out of the blue. Ok this wouldn't be a problem except it is spamming my phone. Yesterday I got 3 Alerts for the same situation. Today I'm still getting alerts about the same situation AND I got 3 text messages overnight about it.

I thought it might just be spam but I looked it up and this is a valid amber alert.  I started getting these without warning and with no way to change how I receive these (for example it's really loud and went off in the middle of work yesterday).

Any clues as to why someone thought it was a good idea to just randomly initiate this without warning and then have no instruction on what to do if you want to change it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

It's possible someone entered your phone number for alerts in error or maliciously. Follow the instructions on this site to remove your number. https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I put in my number and it only has a "create subsription" option. This whole thing is so bizarre.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

It's possible someone entered your phone number for alerts in error or maliciously. Follow the instructions on this site to remove your number. https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp

this - the carrier has nothing to do with sending the alerts, membership in the alert system are totally voluntary, the system has been a long time coming and is expanding, att, verizon, sprint do not submit the numbers someone went to the website and put the number in.

Signup has been available for awhile, but it just started growing, what might be a possiblity depending on how long you have had you number the previous person could have put it in and then had to drop the number for some reason, this is pure speculation though

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@kelce02 wrote:

I put in my number and it only has a "create subsription" option. This whole thing is so bizarre.

Do you have any apps from news or community sites? Perhaps they have started sending out texts with Amber Alerts? 

I got a text out of the blue this summer telling me my area was under a severe weather warning. I was surprised, but later realized the university I had just started attending sends out texts to their students/faculty with important alerts. Perhaps some other organization or application that has your cell number has decided to start sending out Amber alerts in a similar fashion...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have had ATT since when they bought cingular so it's been awhile. I doubt it's someone who used to have my number haha.

As for an app, that's my only remaining thought. I know I haven't personally signed up and it doesn't even show that on the amber alert website. I did an air push notification check and that's coming up empty as well.

I had read something about it being carrier related so that's why I came here.

I don't want to be a scrooge about it and if it didn't completely spam my phone I'd be phone but as it stands I would like to be able to control it but am clueless on how to

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@kelce02 wrote:

I have had ATT since when they bought cingular so it's been awhile. I doubt it's someone who used to have my number haha.

As for an app, that's my only remaining thought. I know I haven't personally signed up and it doesn't even show that on the amber alert website. I did an air push notification check and that's coming up empty as well.

I had read something about it being carrier related so that's why I came here.

I don't want to be a scrooge about it and if it didn't completely spam my phone I'd be phone but as it stands I would like to be able to control it but am clueless on how to

If you go to the link given in one of the previous posts https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp donw at the bottom there is a Contact Us link with a phone number and a email address, would start there. Have not recieved any amber alerts on any of the personal att phones and asked my employees if they have recieved any in the last 10 days, the response was negative. The corporate phones are issued by att, verizon and sprint so that pretty much covers all carriers

The question about the length of time you have had the number is valid, I added a phone for my daughter when where turned twelve, turned out the previous owner of the number was someone one that earned a living by illegal methods and she kept getting calls, voice mail's and texts for supplies. turned everything over to law enforcement and they made a nice haul because of it.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

for the 4S and above

1. Settings

2. Notifications

3. Goverment Alerts at the bottom of the screen - Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts on or off

Not sure about the 4, not where I can get to one

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Apparently AT&T decided to sign us all up without our approval.  Woke me up out of bed. Fantastic customer service AT&T style.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@paulsur wrote:

Apparently AT&T decided to sign us all up without our approval.  Woke me up out of bed. Fantastic customer service AT&T style.

[Inappropriate content removed]

att did not decide, the government did. Don;t want them then go into te settings page and turm them off. This will prevent anything but an alert from the president from being sent to your phone. That one cannot be disabled.

http://www.amberalert.gov/

By the way, this is happening on ALL carriers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.