For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
samarj's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 14th, 2012 8:10 PM

Adding a line to family plan without contract

Hi,

I have getting a new family plan and would like to add my friend's non-contract att as a new line to the family plan. This would hopefully reduce the monthly bills for both of us. But the problem is that he does not want to be on an ATT contract. So my question is :

If I take a family plan with a two year contract and add an existing non-contract ATT connection as a new line, will the existing non-contract ATT also have to enter into a two year contract ?

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

294 Messages

12 years ago

The contract follows the phone number, not the family plan. So if you bring your own phone and add it to your account, that 2nd line will not be under contract. The only time a phone number is under contract is when you get a phone with discounted pricing. So you can have 1 phone number under contract, and the other with no contract.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@samarj wrote:

Probably I didnot explain my question clearly.Let me try to do that again.  I need to have just a single master account. The question is : does the added secondary line also have to continue in the family plan (i.e. be in the 2-year contract) even if it has been in use as a non-contract phone since earlier or can the secondary line unhook itself if the user so desires?

I had a two-line family plan that I added a third line to on a month-to-month (no contract) basis.  That line won't have a contract on it unless I decide to take a subsidized device on it.  I brought over a phone that I had been using on another carrier.  I would think that you would have this option with a second line, as well.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

I think if your friend decides to get a new phone, yes, each individual new phone gets its own upgrade time.  But as far as I know, there is only one family plan master account, and that has its own establishment date, however, some family plan terms and price counts the first two phones on the plan, so you'll have to maintain two phones on that plan for the full length of the contract.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Probably I didnot explain my question clearly.Let me try to do that again.  I need to have just a single master account. The question is : does the added secondary line also have to continue in the family plan (i.e. be in the 2-year contract) even if it has been in use as a non-contract phone since earlier or can the secondary line unhook itself if the user so desires?

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

12 years ago

I just checked and all the family plan prices are now for the first two lines.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/familyplans.html

Sure you can unhook both of your lines from the family plan, but you'll just have to switch them to the individual plans to finish off your two year contract.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.